Breaker did not trip

Users who are viewing this thread

edstevn

Reaction score
I had a breaker that did not trip. There was a loose connectionin on a lug, the lug had a darkened color due to the arcing which produced heat. The question I have is why did the breaker not trip?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Is it a Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel?

A loose lug on the breaker could have been a contributing factor.

Now the breaker needs to be replaced.

If it was a high amperage breaker, there could be enough heat to cause discoloration on the lugs but not trip due to lack of enough amperage sensed inside the breaker.

Many possibilities

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Was there a short circuit which SHOULD have caused the breaker to trip? A loose connection can arc under normal current draw. The breaker does not see this as a fault which it should trip/

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
A loose connection can only reduce the current in a circuit, so it's possible there really was not enough amperage to trip the breaker.
In this case power that is supposed to go into the load goes into heating the bad connection.

edstevn

Reaction score
It was not Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel. It was in GE breaker panel.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Standard breakers trip when too much current flows thru them.

Arcing and burning can easily occur with current flow under it's rated max.

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
Breaker didn't trip

A faulty connection at the breaker terminal offers resistance to the flow of current thereby limiting the amount of current passing through the breaker. So the breaker doesn't trip due to high current. However, I have investigated instances where the heat generated by the bad connection caused the breaker to trip due to the transfer of heat from the fault into the heat sensing element in the circuit breaker.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
the lug had a darkened color due to the arcing which produced heat.
You might want to replace the breaker.
This is not my field, but I'd think whatever heat treatment, annealing, tempering, etc., the metal of the breaker connector received at the factory, it has certainly been erased.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks