A tiny bit of rust in a new CI tub

Users who are viewing this thread

David Meiland

General Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Tub is a Kohler Maestro cast iron drop-in, white. It sat outside my plumber's shop for a month or so in its crate, then we moved it to the job where it was inside, uncrated, and in perfect condition--I checked it carefully (I'm the GC). We installed it by lowering with an air bag due to a tight alcove and no way to manhandle it.

Owner uses it once, to give the dog a bath no less. Later on I am crawling around in the bathroom doing some caulking and I notice a tiny little "spider" of rust in the bottom. Very small but it's there, and it's under the glaze, it won't rub off. My assumption is that the glaze has a pinhole or some crazing at this spot and the first use of the tub has caused the casting to start rusting.

I assume we need to remove this tub and replace it. If it were acrylic I might hope for a patch in place, but it doesn't seem likely with a glossy enamel item like this.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I believe Kohler would deal with this in place. Go through your distributor and get a hold of the Kohler rep.

David Meiland

General Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The plumber is dealing with Kohler on it, and he seems to feel a new tub is the right call.

How good would a patch or repair on a tub like this be? And, what are the chances that where there's one problem there's more? Maybe I ought to have the owner fill the tub and leave it a couple of days.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

Filling the tub with water will not reveal any problem. What will eventually happen is that the rust will continue and eventually create enough pressure to pop the enamel from the bottom of the tub. A fixture refinisher might chip it out and restore the finish, but replacing the tub is the safest way, even though Kohler will only replace the tub. Installing it would not be covered.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have not experienced this....so I am just postulating. I know if you fine sand a piece of wood with 4/0 steel wool, then use a water based varnish over it....you can get rust stains in the finish. Is it possible that a tiny fleck of metal filing got imbedded in the final porcelain finish? My point on this is that in that case it is "surface" and not something which would continue to rust through to the iron. I guess this is something which it would not be worthwhile to chance.

It sounds like Kohler and the plumber on scene are working this out, and I would respect whatever judgement they make.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks