30A Fusible Disconnect Switch w/ Copper Pipe used as fuses

Users who are viewing this thread

edstevn

Reaction score
I found a General Electric 30A/240V single phase fusible disconnect switch that was used as a local service disconnect for a hot water heater. It was fed from a 30A/2P breaker out of a nearby breaker panel. I noticed it had (2) 1/2" pieces of copper pipe installed in place of fuses. I'm sure the National Electric Code book would site this as a code violation. Would they accept dummy fuses ? Do you replace the copper pipe with fuses or replace the switch with a non-fusible type?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if there is such a thing as a dummy fuse. I think it is called "copper pipe"!!

You can most likely use a non-fused disconnect, but I don't see how it would ever be legal to bypass what is intended to be a fuse.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
non fuse

There have been people here who flatten a copper tube and then put it in the meter socket, after it was pulled for nonpayment of the bill, but I am sure the utility does not consider it a "dummy meter".

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The current to melt a piece of pipe like this was figured out on another forum. The connecting wires and everything else will melt before this does. I guess that makes it an "anti-fuse."

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
At least they used copper.

Alectrician-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
30 A fusible disconnect with CU pipe.

Installing copper pipe in place of proper fuses or fuse blanks is a Code violation of 110-3(B). Use of the disconnect sw with other than a product for which it was tested and listed by the testing laboratory. I will not say I haven't done this in an emergency, but it is a Code violation even though the circuit breaker ahead of the disconnect is rated for the circuit size.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
And if you want to make it into a slow blow fuse, fill the pipe with water before crimping. That way the water has to boil off before the pipe melts.
All-in-all this is a very versatile circuit element.

Just kidding.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fuse

If the tubing is sealed so the water cannot leak out, neither will the steam. So the water will heat to a "superheated" condition, (not steam), until something ruptures and then there will be a 'mini' explosion as the energy is disipated in a matter of microseconds. It probably "looked" like copper when it was installed, but now it looks "silver" probably from being overloaded a few times.

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Violation NEC 2005 reference standard

110.3(B)
210.20(C)
240.6(A)
240.60(C)

Take your pick. Remove and replace with the proper sized fuses

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If the tubing is sealed so the water cannot leak out, neither will the steam. So the water will heat to a "superheated" condition, (not steam), until something ruptures and then there will be a 'mini' explosion as the energy is disipated in a matter of microseconds.

So should I lay off all the employees I have already hired to start building these little gems?
:(
:p

Paul Matejcek

Reaction score
I don't know if there is such a thing as a dummy fuse. I think it is called "copper pipe"!!

You can most likely use a non-fused disconnect, but I don't see how it would ever be legal to bypass what is intended to be a fuse.
There are dummy fuses. A person might use one in a 110 v single phase circuit passing through a fused disconnect, no?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "fused disconnect" with "dummy fuses", is a DISCONNECT only, and UNLESS it is fed from a fused circuit it is not only illegal but completely unsafe.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A dummy fuse is the dummies right finger on the right blade, left finger on the left blade without a pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It WAS "golden" before it was overheated, maybe red hot, by overloads many times. Notice the blades are also no longer golden. Remember, in spite of what the title says, that is NOT a "30 amp disconnect", it is something like a 1,000 amp disconnect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks