Toilet always clogs, no matter what

Users who are viewing this thread

law

Reaction score
So we've recently moved into this new apartment, everything about the place seems fine, except the toilet always clogs! My girlfriend and I are hardly what you'd call "power sh*tters", but the tiniest bit of toilet paper clogs the darned thing and is cause for a good 10-15 minutes of plunging (which isn't helped by the strange channel-type cutout at the bottom of the toilet, which prevents the plunger from getting a good seal) This happens literally EVERY TIME I "use" the toilet, and is wicked annoying. The landlord says that he's had no complaints from the other tenants (we're on the ground floor of a good ol' Massachusetts triple-decker), so we figure the extra "height" that the other families have is helping their toilets to flush properly. Do you folks have any idea what could be causing our chronic clogging, and do you have any ideas as to how to fix it?

Many MANY thanks,
--Lee

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Chelsea? Dorchester? Revere? Just reminiscing. ( Grew up in MA)

There is a problem here and your landlord may need some gentle prodding because it is his problem. For a test, take a large bucket(at least 2 gallons) of water and pour it into the toilet. It should cause a nice flush. If it is sluggish, there is a problem somewhere. The scary part is if the problem is out in the main then you could have a situation where the drainage from the upper floors finds the only path gravity allows is out through your tub or toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

If a toilet is vented properly, which we have to assume all of them are, then the extra height does not help them flush. Your problem is probably inside your toilet and needs a snake to pull it out, (not a plunger to push it in further), or removal to dump whatever is in it out.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Assuming that all vents and drains have been snaked to properly ensure flow, my guess is that you are the victim of one of the stupidest things the government has done this century, mandating low flow toilets. It ranks right up there with prohibition, and we all know how long that lasted. What's the point of having a toilet that uses half the water to flush of older style toilets if you have to flush it three times? It's not like the water you are using is going out to space.

As an apartment complex owner and Maintenance Supervisor, I have had nothing but problems with these "low flow" toilets. After all, I am not going to plunge someone else's ***p out of their toilet. That's their job, just like replacing a lightbulb. See if you can convince your Apartment management to look into the newer American Standard toilets. They are "low Flow," but can flush just about anything, from routine biological functions to kids' toys to up to 24 golf balls. Not that you would ever find yourself flushing 24 golf balls down the can....

I am replacing all my tenants' toilets with these because It will reduce my problems, though I am replacing them on an "as need" basis. Besides, I want my tenants to be happy!

Good Luck

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
previous tennant

if this has been this way from the day you
moved in, their is also a good cance the
previous tennant might have dropped something like a colmb
or pencil down the toilet before they moved out.

this should be looked at by the
landlord. either snaked out or changed out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks