(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Waterproofing

Default Waterproofing

Not sure whether this should be in this or the shower/bathtub forum, but here goes:

I have over 100 apartments under my wing, a 20-30 year old complex. Most units are rented and have been remodeled, but I have 4 to go due to long term tenant attrition, so they have not been remodeled. I have torn out all wallboard from one bathroom in question and am replacing everything but the tub, which is in good condition. I will be placing greenboard on the walls surrounding the tub/shower enclosure, but how do I waterproof the seams between the sheets? And do I need to waterproof the places where I use sheetrock screws? I will of course be sealing the entire space with a shower liner properly caulked in and attached with a waterproof adhesive caulk. The rest of the bathroom I will be using regular sheetrock... Unless that is not recommended...
    Measure Twice, Cut Once
    Wally

You can use mesh fibreglas tape and waterproof joint compound. The really important part of this job is to install and caulk the liners properly, according to instructions. Greenboard is moisture RESISTANT but is in no way waterPROOF. If it gets wet on a regular basis, it is cooked.

By the way, there are special adhesives for attaching shower liners. Tub/tile caulk may be OK but I always use the adhesive recommended by the manufacturer. Usually "tub surround" by Liquid Nails. Whatever you do, DO NOT use regular Liquid Nails Project, Construction, or Subfloor.

Yep, I've got Liquid Nails for tub surrounds just for the project. It was the jiont compound I was questioning... Thanks for the answer!
    Measure Twice, Cut Once
    Wally

Are you tiling the tub area ?? If so,,do not skimp . Use Durock backer board!!