Bathroom wiring circuit question

Users who are viewing this thread

docpops

Reaction score
Question on how to connect two switches in a bathroom circuit, where one switch is for the fan, and one is for a light:

20 amp circuit on 12G comes into bathroom, into a GFCI. I then run the GFCI to a single-pole switch in a 2 gang box which is then connected to a ceiling fan. The second switch in the box is for a light over the sink.

How do I connect the first switch to the second, i.e. do I daisy chain them together somehow? Or should I have run two separate lengths of 12G romex from the GFCI to each of the two switches, and then connect each switch to it's respective load? I assume in this second scenario I need to use wire nuts to connect the white and black wires to a third piece of same that is then attached to the terminal screw on the GFCI?

I can't find this particular scenario anywhere else online or in my basic wiring books.

Thanks.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Place 2 black pigtails on the 12awg NM black feeder and connect each pigtail to the bottom of the switch with the singlel pole switches in the upright position.

docpops

Reaction score
Thank-you. I assume that I also pigtail all the neutral ends (12G feeder, fan, light) together, and then does it matter which switch I place the grounded wires to?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Thank-you. I assume that I also pigtail all the neutral ends (12G feeder, fan, light) together, and then does it matter which switch I place the grounded wires to?

No, the white actually called the "grounded conductor" wires will all be wire nutted together, no pigtail needed. Then you place each black that feeds the fixtures to the top terminal (off/on upright) of your single pole switches.

One for the light and one for the fan.

Remove all power before you do this.

The bare wires actually known and the "grounding conductors" will be pigtailed to each device (switch) and bonded to the box if it is metal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks