Bathroom Drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

elgato

Reaction score
I am ready to drywall a 5x8 bathroom. The shower will be Swanstone base and surrounds.
I am considering:

1. All Densarmor plus
2. All XP Purple board.
3. Denshield in the shower area with XP or Densarmor everywhere else.

On demo the worst damage was in the 12" area where the surround transitions to the rest of the room. The greenboard was bubbling and crumbling. I am not sure if the Denshield would help here.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank You

Last edited:

topshot

Reaction score
I have the same question essentially. I plan to use normal drywall in the bathroom but would consider using purple board for the foot or so above the surround (it mounts to the studs) and ceiling above the shower if it will make a difference. I will not be tiling anything (or I'd use CBU) - just primer and paint.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding of the purple board is that it is extra reinforced to withstand abuse and is not supposed to be used in wet areas.

I would probably stick with the green board and use some mold-resistant paint. Also, make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

topshot

Reaction score
Green isn't even allowed in some areas (using latest national codes) anymore, being replaced by purple.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you are referring to greenboard underneath tile. That is what is not up to code anymore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks