Cutting ABS 2 inch drain in tight quarters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmaru77

Reaction score
Is there a special tool to cut plastic piping in tight spaces? I have a shower drain that split and have to get in there and splice some new piping.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
It's 2" ABS drain pipe. I just bought a wire thing to cut it. It got about 1/3 the way and now is stuck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Timing is everthing. The wire cuts through heat caused by friction (it actually melts through if it's the kind I think it is). If you stop part way through or go too fast, it get get liquid and seal up behind or on the wire.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I only use the wire on PVC...
Try a regular saw...

jones-stephens-hand-saw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pmaru77

Reaction score
yeah......I fugured...but too late. Well...it's cut out. I bought 2 45 deg elb. because that is what I thought I cut out, but further inspection...the elbow (orig) are 30 deg. There is only a 6 inch shift (offset) needed and I'm guessing that the 30's make it a little easier to line up, along with draining better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks