zone valve problem

Users who are viewing this thread

jim_guy

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I have a hot water heat boiler with 2 Erie VT2343G13A02A0F valves. When I turn the downstairs thermostat up, the boiler and pump do not kick on. When I turn the upstairs thermostat up, the boiler and pump kick on and both valves seem to let hot water out to the two zones. I replaced the downstairs thermostat but still have the same problem. I am thinking the downstairs valve is bad but it seems odd that it would work enough to open but not to relay to the boiler and pump. Any thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated. Also, if I have to replace the valve, do you have any tips for doing it myself and where can I buy the replacement valve?

Thanks,

Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did it ever work right?

You have one pump and two zone valves?

Do the thermostats control the pump or the zone valves or the boiler (and the boiler controls the pump)?

There must be some logic to turn on the single pump when either thermostat requests heat and open the specified zone valve. There are many multizone controllers out there and you boiler could have a simple one built-in.

To trouble-shoot this, you need more info on how it is setup.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They have end switches in them that make when the valve is open. If the end switch goes bad (and they do) the valve will still open, just not turn the circ on.

jim_guy

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the reply. So, assuming my Erie zone valve is bad, is that something I can replace myself? Can I use other brands or should I replace with the same brand and model? Do you have any tips on how to do it? Do I have to drain the whole system? I have installed underground sprinkler valves but nothing tied in with a heating system. I appreciate the help.

Jim

jim_guy

Reaction score
In response to Jadnashua:

Yes, it worked fine until Friday. The wires from the thermostats go directly to the zone valves. Then additional wires from the zone valves go to the boiler. I assume there is a controller in the boiler that turns on the pump and that obviously works fine when the upstairs thermostat is turned up.

Thanks for the reply.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If its just the actuator then yeah you can do it yourself. If it's the valve body itself then that's a different story. Hopefully you have a ball valve before the zone valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks