Natural gas air conditioner ???

Users who are viewing this thread

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I have a natural gas well on my property & receive free gas from the well . Naturally all possible appliances & furnace are gas . I have an electric central air conditioner & would like to switch to a gas unit . I have read that these units are made but can't seem to find them . Does anyone know anything about gas air conditioners & where I might find information about them & where to purchase one ?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
On nuclear submarines, our main air conditioning system is a lithium bromide system powered by steam...which is available in pretty much unlimited quantities.

Simper systems are used in refrigerators for RV's,

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They make em, but probably not is a size small enough for you. Most are large commercial roof top units.

Might make an interesting project though. We'll get right on it and let you know.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
They do make residential size units. I have never installed one but I have heard of them. I would look for manufacturers on google.

Another less reliable option would be to run natural gas powered engine that turns a compressor. Of course this is not really a practical option but it would work.

You could also use the free gas to run a generator and have free electricity, sell what you don't use back to the utility?

PeteG

Reaction score
They make em, but probably not is a size small enough for you. Most are large commercial roof top units.

Might make an interesting project though. We'll get right on it and let you know.

Don't forget the small refrigerators made for campers, mobile homes, travel trailers etc.
I have used two of the small used gas refrigerator units in a 7ft high X 6ft wide X 8ft long room to achieve freezing temperatures.
I used 4 inch thick polyurethane foam to construct the sides, top and floor.
The outside had white aluminum paneling for ascetics only. The inside had 1/4 inch ply wood walls to attach shelves to. The ply was glued to the foam inside by painting the ply with one part of two part liquid foam and painting the foam wall with the other part of the two part foam. When pushing the ply to the wall it activates and makes a bond as strong as the foam. I used the natural gas as a backup and assist only and most of the power was solar heated 50% Etheline glycol/water.
I also used 1/2 inch ply on the floor so walking didn't do damage to the foam. I glued a few strips to the celling to hang lighting from.
I used 3 watt LED lamps to reduce power and heat. I had 8 of them and the lighting in the all white room was great.
I used extreme measures to keep the door air tight and with a good thermal seal.
Unfortunately this building/freezer was destroyed in a house fire.
I have retired and moved to the country and will probably build another but I'm thinking of Solar powered Ammonia/water chilling. I have the room so I'm looking at modifying the unit published in the Home Power Magazine.

If your interested in solar powered refrigeration,
start here:http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/11/solar-rig-bring.html

I'm thinking large here as in underground Olympic pool or more insulated and frozen or very cold liquid with air ducts/heat exchangers running throughout with thermal siphoning for cooling my home.
Also thinking of using a second under ground reservoir of hot liquid for heating in cold weather. "We hardly ever reach freezing here but it does get cold occasionally."
I have enough 4' X 8' slabs of 4" foam to make another as before but I'm not sure I can't put it to better use.

I'm calculating and drawing. I'm not going out in the winter weather to work anyway.
I don't like weather that is cooler than about 20 deg cooler than my body temp. Grinnnnnn

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
When affordable fuel cells with a good lifetime become available, you will be in fat city. You may have to clean the gas though.

centralairunits

Reaction score
Website
portable-airconditioner.net
I have a natural gas well on my property & receive free gas from the well . Naturally all possible appliances & furnace are gas . I have an electric central air conditioner & would like to switch to a gas unit . I have read that these units are made but can't seem to find them . Does anyone know anything about gas air conditioners & where I might find information about them & where to purchase one ?

It is eco-friendly system. I think it is not too different with gas heater (my personal opinion). I like eco-friendly appliance and I have one solar ac unit ! Solar ac unit is superior than solar heater, because the unlimited sunlight energy during summer months!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks