(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: fireproof floor to floor register

Default fireproof floor to floor register

I am putting a pellt stove in the basement. My goal is to keep tyhe floor warm and also put registers in two bedrooms. I would like to know of any registers that will shut if heat becomes too great as in a fire they would shut. A link would be great.

thanks jimbo but those arent exactly what i had in mind. This for the floor and will just let heat rise from the basement to the bedrooms. I will be able to see in the basement like some old houses where you could look from the second to first floor. It would have to look somewhat decent or i will just unhook the registers that is there now for the furnace or put another in without the safety mechanism. This may not exist but it seems like a good idea to me.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wab1233 View Post
    This for the floor and will just let heat rise from the basement to the bedrooms. I will be able to see in the basement like some old houses where you could look from the second to first floor ...
    I could be wrong here, but I believe that is no longer allowed for the very reason you want them to close in the event of fire. I grew up in a house like that (and with stairways as the only returns), and I had been planning to do something similar in part of the house here ... but I have since learned even returns now *must* be ducted.