Sanitary Tee Height

Users who are viewing this thread

jfhardy

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement and installing a bar. The 2 inch drain for the bar sink has a long distance to travel to tie in with existing DWV stack - 52 feet. So, by my calculation I need 13 inches of slope (1/4 inch per foot) over that whole distance.

The attached floor plan shows the route the drain needs to travel. It will run through a knee wall behind the sink and through the outside walls, with three elbows, to the dwv stack.

When I take into consideration elbow below the sanitary tee and the fitting to tie into the DWV stack, the required height for my sanitary tee is 23 inches from the floor to the center of the tee. Is that too high? I am not installing a garbage disposal and I don't have a bar sink picked out yet, so I don't know what the sink depth will be. Are there any code requirements regarding sanitary tee height? Will I have trouble installing a typical bar sink with a tee that height?

Thanks, Jack

Attachments

• FloorPlan.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 490

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are coming in horizontally to the sink, you would use a wye fitting for the vent.
If you are coming up vertically, it would be a santee for the vent.
The 23" may be fine if the bowl is not too deep.

Do you plan on venting through the roof? or using an AAV for the vent?

jfhardy

Reaction score
I will be coming in horizontally and I will tie into an existing vent that goes through the roof. The local plumbing inspector stopped by this afternoon to look at what I am doing and he suggested using a wye fitting with a street elbow instead of the sanitary tee. That would save me about 6 inches and give me plenty of room. Thanks for your reply
Jack

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks