Manual J Does it sound correct

Users who are viewing this thread

weather777

Reaction score
A Manual J was done to produce these units,but seems to me the units are too small.I am mainly concerned about the cooling capacity.

Heating Degree Days: 4400
Cooling Degree Days: 1000

House:Upper Level 1400 sq ft
Lower Level 1400 sq ft

A very small portion of the lower level is true basement ( the north wall and maybe fraction of the 1400sq ft) and the rest basically 1st floor like at 7 feet above ground.However,since the entry door is in the upper level its referred to as basement There is around 800 sq ft of crawl space under the lower level and will be sealed with a dehumidifier and 4inch pipe air supply.The house is tightly insulated and 2x6 construction.I want the temp in the summer to be able to cool to 65 degrees when 90 degrees outside.

Results:

Upper Level system: 2.5 ton
Lower Level system: 1.5 ton

Air Source Heat Pumps with Propane back up- 13 SEER A/C with variable speed fans

Does that lower unit seem large enough to get the temps to desired level---seems low to me.

Thank you

PS--Does it matter if the lower level was entered into Manual J as basement vs 1st floor as far as tonnage it showed (1.5 tons)?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I will let the HVAC pros weigh in on the numbers. But I will say you are asking a lot to cool to 65º. Why do you want to do that? Most folks would find 65 to be uncomfortably cold.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
temerature

Heating and cooling are almost a geometric curve. It takes a lot more energy to cool from 75 down to 65, than it does to cool from 85 down to 75. Why would you want a temperature that low?

Veesubotee

Reaction score
manual J?

Stating heating and cooling degree days does not give a true value for sizing heating/cooling, since your dealing with averages of temperatures in a period.

Did your 'manual J' state heat loss and heat gain (sensible and latent)? This is what's needed.

V

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks