(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code Question: MC cable touching copper water pipe in ceiling. Problem?

Default Code Question: MC cable touching copper water pipe in ceiling. Problem?

It is an easy fix either way but a contractor was at my house the other day and mentioned that in the ceiling the MC cable was touching the copper water lines and it was a problem.

Is this:
    A: A problem (code violation?) and why?
    B: Not a problem

Thanks!

Any metal touching copper will eventually be a problem due to corrosion and oxidation. Don't let it touch it.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Default wire

Our inspectors do not want ANY electical wire touching a plumbing water line. And are not too crazy about drain lines.

In most areas I can just secure the electrical cable tighter to the ceiling with clamps but in tighter areas would it be sufficient to use the foam pipe insulation to prevent contact between the two?

Thanks!

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Code Question: MC cable touching copper water pipe in ceiling. Problem?
    This is not a code problem

This is not a code problem
    Not necessarily, it depends on what the MC is touching or exposed to.

NEC 330.12(4)
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Not necessarily, it depends on what the MC is touching or exposed to.

NEC 330.12(4)
    330.12 Uses Not Permitted.
    (4) Where subject to cinder fills, strong chlorides, caustic alkalis, or vapors of chlorine or of hydrochloric acids

Quote Originally Posted by PabNYC View Post
    It is an easy fix either way but a contractor was at my house the other day and mentioned that in the ceiling the MC cable was touching the copper water lines and it was a problem. Thanks!

Damn, I thouhgt you were for real for a second but then I came back to reality.

What the original poster asked is in no way a problem except is the mind of some untrained, uneducated guessers.

Default Problem?

There is no code violaton here. Personally, I would prefer for MC not to touch the copper water pipe. Often this is where corrosion is seen. Perhaps due to different types of metal.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Our inspectors do not want ANY electical wire touching a plumbing water line. And are not too crazy about drain lines.
    Seems the sparky's up here think our pipes are for supporting their wires. Gets really annoying once the home theater guys have followed suite along with the central air pipes basket weaving through all the PEX, too.

Default sparky

What's really annoying is when you predrill your holes and the electricians think that is a convenient place to run their wires through. Or, that the center of a 4" wall is the best place for their Romex or conduit, especially if they can see a plumbing pipe coming out of the floor right beneath it.

I like when they mount their panel above the stubs in the slab for the water and sewer lines...

Thats rocket science!

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Oh give me a break you guys. Plumber are FAR worse with the "I am the only one on the job" mentality.

BTW HJ, YES, the center of a 4" stud IS the ONLY place to run the wire.

A) ANY electrician who uses a plumbing pipe to support his wires is a hack.
    B) ANY electrician who uses someone else's drill holes in framing is a jerk.
    3) ANY electrician who puts a panel right above pipes stubbed out of a slab is either a dumbass or was told to do so by the builder.

What about the plumber who runs a vent stack from a bath vanity sink right straight up from the sink, knowing full well that there will be a vanity light dead center over the sink?

It goes both ways guys, and out stuff is WAY more flexible that yours, remember that. You can push a wire out of your way, I cannot mount a pancake box right to your vent stack!

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Oh give me a break you guys. Plumber are FAR worse with the "I am the only one on the job" mentality.
    Left out, "that matters."

National Electrical Code Expert/Speaker/Educator TheElectricalGuru's Avatar

lol....man I get a chuckle when I read some of these posts...lol.....

NO it is not a violation of the NEC, and what I think someone was trying to make reference too was 110.14 in regards to dissimilar metals....BUT since we are not talking about terminations.....who cares....110.14 would not apply ANYWHERE in that question....

so.....yet again as far as the NEC is concerned...no violation of the MC touching the metal waterpipe.....and hopefully if they DO have metal water pipes they have done their work to meet 250.104(A)(1) anyway....no worries.
    Paul W. Abernathy
    Founder of : TheElectricalGuru.com
    NEC Consultant
    ICC & IAEI Certified Electrical Inspector
    ICC & IAEI Certified Electrical Plans Examiner
    2007 Mike Holt Enterprises " Top Gun "
    NEC Expert to Mike Holt -2008 NEC Exam Prep DVD's

From a carpenter's view... electricians and plumbers BOTH suck, and NEITHER ought to be allowed near a sawzall!

But seriously... there's nothing on this in the electical codes, but isn't there something in the plumbing code? I know they have to use copper hangers on copper pipes, and you're supposed to use copper nails in those hangers... same logic, no? Dissimilar metals = corrosion?

Might want to cross-post this in plumbing.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...