Supply line inteferes with toilet installation - workarounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

charred_water

Reaction score
I was about to order an Eco Ultramax when I checked the specs for installation.

The spec sheet shows the supply line must be 5 1/8" horizontally and 5" vertically.

I only have 4" clearance horizontally. Am I going to have to open the wall and move the supply line? Can I put a right angle extension on the supply line to shift it sideways a few inches so I don't have to open the wall.

Also, what is the reason for the 5" vertical clearance. It seems like anything less than 5" vertical would work.

My second choice was the Eco Drake, which requires 6" of horizontal clearance.

Are there any Toto 1.28GPF toilets which only need 4" horizontal clearance?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There may be some options available, but I think you are making too big a deal about opening the wall and redoing the supply line. Drywall patching is one of the simplest DIY jobs there is and would be high on my list of best things to do. Perhaps Terry or Redwood who are very familiar with the supply outlet requirements can give a better answer, but I'd say go with the toilet of your choice and do what has to be done to get the water supply in the right location.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The fit of the supply valve varies with the height, length from the centerline, and how far it extends out from the wall. The shape of the rear portion of the bowl varies at different heights and how the valve fits against that shape varies...

I would just get the bowl and put it in place to see how it fits and change the supply location if needed. Or, take careful measurements of the supply in relation to the flange then go to the nearest Toto showroom and see how it fits.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Location, location, location may be important in real estate, but unless the toilet has some unique shape, the location of the water supply inlet is not something that is fixed in stone. The location shown on rough in drawings is usually something an engineer pulled out of the air and has little relationship to anything in the real world.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake_angle2.jpg

The Drake and the Ultramax have a similar bowl.
As long as the shutoff is not directly behind, it will work.

If you have 3" or more from center to center you are fine with the Ultramax and the Drake.

Last edited:

charred_water

Reaction score
Thank you!

This information was very helpful.

This is a wonderful forum and you guys are great!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks