Water suddenly stopped?!

Users who are viewing this thread

hosky

Reaction score
I just bought a house with a 1600 foot well. Here is the little history about it that I know. Was told that it is artesian (if that matters here). Water free flows at about 35 psi. Water comes out of well into bottom of 220 gal tank, then out of tank about 1/3 way up from bottom to the 1 1/2 hp pump, passes air tank, through large filter then to house. Seems like that is how it is supposed to be but I don't know.

Here is the problem...Water was dirty in the house, changed filters not much help. decided to drain tank and refill, added 2 gal bleach, opened all faucets in house with pump on a 50 psi. Water ran for about 15 min then just started slowing down until I have no water at the house at all. What could have happened? I have water up to the filter right before it goes underground.

I would really appreciate any and all help, thanks -Hosky:confused:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Describe the large filter. Is it just a spin off cartridge filter or is a BIG filter with something in it like sand or carbon. Were the filters bypassed when you were flushing out the holding tank? Also where is the pump?

Undoubtedly you were drawing water at a higher volume than was done in the past in your house. This is good for flushing the system which seems to be what your intent was, however it will also pull debris in the tank into your pump and water pipes. If you have a faucet after the filter and the water is free flowing at that location I would say there is potential that there is a clog in the piping somewhere between the filter and the house, which would suck.

I would think its more likely that the port to the pressure switch clogged a and your pump stopped running because it thinks the system is fully pressurized or the pump inlet itself is clogged which can cause a whole string of problems for the pump, in either case you would have no water anywhere.

Also if I'm not mistaken deep wells are notoriously high in iron. This could be your "dirty" water (high iron) and would require special filtering. Have a water test done before spending any money filters.

-rick

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I suspect your cartridges are blocked, remove them and run water out an outside faucet instead of all through the house.

If not the filters, the jet in the pump may be blocked or if you have a foot valve on the inlet to the pump in the tank, it may be blocked or stuck closed/broken.

If not there may be a break in teh underground line or a shut off valve blocked up.

Chlorine, or shocking a well etc. can cause things to block up.

hosky

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, my cartridge is about 10" tall. I have a faucet between the pump and the filter water comes out good and strong there also I can take the canister filter off and open the shut off valve water is strong coming out of the filter housing 38psi with pump off about 50 psi with pump on.

Pump is not clogged.

I will try to remove filter and flow direct to an outside faucet and see if that helps.

What about using air pressure from the house back toward the filter (retrograde flow) at about 100psi? Would this help remove any "clogs"?

Thanks for the help moving in on the 1st need water!!!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
That 2.5" x 10" cartridge is not supposed to be used on a 'whole house' basis, they were not intended for that although many people insist on using them. They were designed for an icemaker, Coke machine etc. etc. etc.; point of use, not point of entry.

And it should not be between a pump and the pressure switch.

hosky

Reaction score
The filter is more like a 5" by 12" and it states that it is for whole house filtration. Also, it is after the pump and after the switch, before it goes underground to the house. It is the "last stop" before the house. I figure if it says for whole house filtration then that is what it means but I do not know anything about this stuff.

I changed the cartridge and now I have water. I guess that all the sand from shocking and flushing out the 220 gal tank must have stopped it up.

Thank for the info. I went home removed the filter and had water instantly.

-Hosky

hosky

Reaction score
What kind of filter should I use for "whole house" filtration?

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remember you don't want that dirt ending up in your pipes or water heater so flush you well using and outdoor faucet someplace.

>>What kind of filter should I use for "whole house" filtration?
Most likely a automatic back washing filter setup of some sort. However its impossible to recommend anything without you first doing a water quality test. I would have thought one would have been done when you purchased the property. In any event if you don't have one its worth doing considering you are cooking and showering with it. Even if you never buy a filter you should perform a water test. The test will measure, among other things, how much iron, magnese, ph, hardness is in your water. This will determine how you go about clearing up your water.

There is probably a place in your area that you can bring a sample to for testing. Sometimes they will mail you the containers needed to collect the sample (mostly so they can know the container was sterile before use) and often will provide you instructions on how to collect the water.

-rick

hosky

Reaction score
thanks rick, I think that I am having to clean up a long time problem with this well that I should have checked into before purchasing. Neverless, I own it now and have to straighten it out.

For example: this morning water was fine 50 psi and clear looking. After cleaning bathrooms, dishes and other things water became dirty and clogged up my new filter placed yesterday morning. Now, I have no water in the house again. I have a 220 gal tank. Is it possible that I am using more water than the tank can seperate? (Trash settle and clean water taken from mid-tank) I need to get this right b/c I will be in the house for a long time.

-Hosky

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
It sounds as if you have a well problem like a very low recovery rate gpm or, the pump set too low in the well which is stirring up sediment etc. etc.. Are you in a drought area?

You may want to call a pump guy or well driller, or only a plumber capable and willing to pull the pump, and have them measure the static water level and do a pumping test.

"whole house" is a marketing term. IF you have visible dirt in your water from the well, then you need a POE (point of entry) filter, they will automatically backwash the collected dirt to drain every few days.

If your water is not visibly dirty, you don't need a filter of any kind. A well pressure tank is not harmed by dirt. Invisible dirt will not cause a water heater fixtures or appliances any problems. Sediment in a water heater is usually caused by water hardness forming hard water scale in the heater. That is a problem but you use a water softener to remove the hardness from the water before it gets into the heater where it comes out of solution when the heater heats the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks