Oil Fired Furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

jrprusak

Reaction score
Service man tuned my garage highboy oil furnace in the garage today and noticed the exchanger is cracked...

I keep the temperature around 40 degrees, he said it probably cracked from sucking in the colder air...does this sound real?? 20 years old...

anyways what is a good replacement furnace with a good exchanger?

It is not connected to any living area, and is just a stand alone unit.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The cold air had nothing to do with it. Don't buy the cheapest and don't buy the most expensive unless you can afford it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
furnace

From his explanation, I might want a second opinion, unless you can verify that it is cracked yourself. It is not unheard of for technicians to make a diagnosis, if it is hard for the customer to verify it himself, when there is no real problem, other than that the technician has a car payment coming up and needs the money. I had a similar situation yesterday with regards to a customer's sewer problem. Only part of what he had been told was true.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A Rigid mini is a great way to actually see if there is a crack in the exchanger. Another way is to start the furnace and open the inspection door. wait for the blower to come on. If the fire leaps out of the inspection door you have a crack. Soot in the ductwork is also a good indicator. An oxygen reading before blower runs and after blower runs is a great indicator.

jrprusak

Reaction score
The service guy said the cold air hitting the hot exchanger is why it cracked, not sure about that…I keep the garage around 38-45 degrees during the winter…

I looked down into the heat exchanger and saw that one wall inside the section the fan blows through is in fact bellied out about 1 inch and has a tight crack about 8†long. I do not have any idea how long it has been like this…

It still runs fine, and since it is not connected to any living area, it is not a real crises, but I am going to replace…no soot….I’ll do the other test you mentioned waiting for the fan to kik on…..

I found a Williamson furnace with Beckett burner, life warranty on the heat exchanger..

The old unit is a Olsen, and may even have a life warranty on the exchanger, I’m looking for the paperwork…

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks