Basement Toilet Dry Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

garwayne

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, found it through googling my plumbing questions. It has helped already. I have done a lot of plumbing but this is my first project with the basement rough-in. Here is my question. I am confused about dry venting my toilet and keeping it in the path of the main drain under the slab. In other words the main stack will be dropping down the wall in essentially the same location where I would like the vent stack to run. I'm struggling figuring out all the connections for the toilet drain and vent; any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is essentially new construction, so I have some flexibility in the location of the drain.
Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• BathroomLayout.JPG
    BathroomLayout.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,795

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Worry about venting the tub and the lav, the toilet will take care of itself. It needs no vent

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The city inspectors here haven't caught onto that one yet.
A call to them about toilet venting was recieved with,
"Well, now, boy, ery'one n' der grahma knows you need a twooo inch vent fer yer cahmode..."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

the toilet will take care of itself. It needs no vent
Wow! I'll bet there is a legion of do it yourselfers out there who just said, "Whoopie. Now we don't have to worry about that messy toilet vent anymore." In fact they can forget about all the existing plumbing EXCEPT where they are going to connect the new bathroom drain, AND where they are going to connect the new vent. Then they can do a complete separate installation for the new bath.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well yes indeed. But the IPC does clearly state that there is no minimum distance from toilet to vent anymore.

garwayne

Reaction score
Thank you all for replying. And the ensuing discussion regarding the need for a seperate vent for the toilet has been on my mind for a while. Knowing it is allowed is one thing, but I guess I'm interested in knowing how well it works. I want to build this one (it's mine) the absolute best way I can. If I drop the main stack down to the drain in the same plane as the toilet drain then I'll need to run back to the wall from downstream to create a vent. Mix in the drains from the tub/lav and this now seems like a bit of a kluge, but again I'm not that familiar with the drain work. Any further thoughts?
Thanks again,
Gary

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

There never was a MINIMUM distance, but always a maximum one, but even that does not equate to NOT NEEDING a vent, it just states where one has to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks