(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some thoughts, please

Advice from the internet is not always right and can be dangerous.

Too much information is needed in order to give proper advice and little to no knowledge about the poster's situation is known such as: code version enforced in his/her municipality, what permits are required, code alterations at the local level, capability of the poster, poster's ability to understand what is being said to them, etc.

In order to give solid advice to someone who is going to carry out a task, you practically have to be there because there are tons of details.

Just because you got a light to work when you flip a switch does not make it right or safe.

DIY books are filled with mistakes.

Professional electricians make mistakes every day and fail inspection because there are so many things that you have to know. Inspectors miss things that are wrong every day because there is always a lot to look at.

It has been my experience that I can always find 1 or 2 small items wrong with any electrical inspection performed by a professional electrician.

I have never, ever inspected a DIY project where there wasn't multiple safety problems. Even with the how to book open during the install.

In my opinion, there are limitations to what homeowners/DIY can do safely and effectively. It is hard enough to get professional electricians to follow every rule, this makes it even harder for the DIYr who probably won't even pull a permit.

As long as you pull a permit and get it inspected as your project is being built then I don't care who does the work. As long as it is done right and safely.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

I am thinking about dressing up as a Master Electrician for Halloween!
    Last edited by Cookie; 10-29-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    little to no knowledge about the poster's situation is known such as: code version enforced in his/her municipality, what permits are required, code alterations at the local level, capability of the poster, poster's ability to understand what is being said to them, etc.

Just because you got a light to work when you flip a switch does not make it right or safe.

DIY books are filled with mistakes.

Professional electricians make mistakes every day and fail inspection because there are so many things that you have to know. Inspectors miss things that are wrong every day because there is always a lot to look at.

It has been my experience that I can always find 1 or 2 small items wrong with any electrical inspection performed by a professional electrician.

I have never, ever inspected a DIY project where there wasn't multiple safety problems. Even with the how to book open during the install.

In my opinion, there are limitations to what homeowners/DIY can do safely and effectively. It is hard enough to get professional electricians to follow every rule, this makes it even harder for the DIYr who probably won't even pull a permit.

As long as you pull a permit and get it inspected as your project is being built then I don't care who does the work. As long as it is done right and safely.
    "DIY books are filled with mistakes."
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'd think the editors and publishers would be more careful.

You bring up some interesting points. Here's another take on the same kind of story:
    the factory repair manual for a car says to use "a double flaring tool" on brake lines.
    my officemate calls 10 service stations (on company time, of course).
    3 say "Of course we use a double flaring tool; it says so in the manual."
    7 say "we don't use a double flaring tool and we've been fixing cars since before you were in diapers."

So my officemate asks me, "Who's right?" My answer to him went along the lines of:

I personally would do the double flaring. If there were a crash due to my work and others were injured I would like to be able to say I exercised "due diligence."
    There is not an epidemic of cars by the side of the road with leaking brake lines.
    The factory manual "may have sort of been" making a disclaimer.
    Mechanics may say they do the double flaring stuff but if their boss is breathing down their neck they may not actually do it.
    There may be built-in safety factors in cars that come into play that rescue the mechanics who don't do the double flaring. I.e., the car designers are saving the mechanics from themselves.

Now, about human nature in general (some humans, that is.)
    A woman wrote a book about air safety: "flying blind, flying safe." In it a guy actually said out loud something to the effect "that not enough people have died for us to look into this matter."
    I know now that this is a called a "tombstone agency."
    http://www.cnn.com/US/9705/11/aviati...ety/index.html

Here's another:
    http://www.cnn.com/US/9909/10/ivey.memo/

Anyone interested in blood money?

I probably would not be on this forum right now had I not tried to blow the whistle on my particular government regulatory agency. The good news is, as they illegally force you out of your government job, the money you spend on your attorney in a vain attempt to keep your job is tax-deductible.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 10-30-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I am thinking about dressing up as a Master Electrician for Halloween!
    I'm shocked to hear that!