Should I try to clean the A/C coils myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Riker1384

Reaction score
The coils on the indoor part of our air-conditioning/heat-pump system are dirty. Is this something I should try myself? I'm any sort of professional. Some sites say I could do it myself, some say it should be left to experts.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you do it yourself, you may want to invest in a fin comb to straighten any bent fins.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I usually use a pump up sprayer with some coil cleaner. You will be just fine with just plain water. If you don't have a pump sprayer you can use the garden hose just dont hit it with a lot of water. You don't want to get the blower or anything else wet. Also make sure your condensate drain does not plug up with the crud.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
This is an inside evaporator guys, not the outside condenser. A garden house will create a wet mess.

Most manufacturer's will tell you what type of brush to use to clean the coils dry. If you can't locate the manual that came with the unit then Google "condenser brush" and looking at your unit and accessibility figure out which type will work best for you. Keep the shop vac going to catch the dust because it's very fine and irritating.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use the same method Burley Mike described.

SothernMan said:
This is an inside evaporator guys, not the outside condenser. A garden house will create a wet mess.

Garden House?

I'll assume that you added extra letters to "hose"

Maybe an engineer would make a mess with a hose, but, most of us would know to be careful and make sure the condensate drain is not plugged.

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Yes I meant garden hose, not house. A garden hose would create quite a mess inside a residential house, but would probably be manageable inside a garden house. Although I have yet to see a garden house with AC.

I appreciate your exactness kind sir. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks