Need help with my well

Users who are viewing this thread

CHEVYMAN434

Reaction score
I just bought a peice of property that has two wells on it and i need to get one hooked up and working for a mobile home. Me and my wife have a new baby on the way and i really dont have the money to pay someone to come in and do it all. The one that is closest to the house it a above ground pump installation cause i can see where the other pump was sittin on some blocks,but of course while the property was vacant someone stole it all. I put a string down the well and there is water at 12' down.There is a 2" galvanized pipe sticking out of the ground there. I am wanting to know how to find the bottom of the well and what kind of pipe to stick in there to draw the water out and how deep to go down. Also what size pump would i use? I have to go 250' to the house and also not sure what size pipe to run to the house and what wire to lay to the pole when i get the ditch dug. It seems the only thing i have so far is the blue tank that goes beside the pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated,cause i dont need any more mistakes now.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Use the same method you used to find the water level to find the bottom. Not that it's important, as long as the water is that high, a shallow well pump will work. The only drawback is that some 2" wells have Bremer Check Valves in the bottom which hold the water up, and you may be getting a false reading. I would find a Pitcher Pump and do a pump test before I started buying equipment. If you find that it produces water with the Pitcher Pump, a shallow well Jet Pump would work fine.

What size depends on how much water and pressure your needing. It also depends on how the well produces.

Pipe size should be carefully thought out. 250' is quite a distance, so 1" or larger pipe should be used. This again depends on the flow required.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

CHEVYMAN434

Reaction score
Pump size

Yup,my friend has one of those pumps,and i will try it tonight then. I dont really know how much pressure is needed but i am going to be running a mobile home with it and would like good pressure for sure. And i was thinking that i would find the bottom and run a pipe down about 3/4 of the way?? Should i just use pvc in there and use long peices glued together,with a cap on top??

Speedbump

Reaction score
Try to fill the well up with water. Hopefully it will run down as fast as you put it in. If you can fill it up, you can't be sure where your water level reallly is. This could be a real problem. If the Pitcher Pump works for you, don't worry about anything else.

The pipe your going to put in the well can be PVC, it should be 1-1/4" with a foot valve on the bottom and it should be 30 feet long. No longer or shorter.

bob...

CHEVYMAN434

Reaction score
Well

Ok,thank you very much. I will try the pitcher pump tonight. Any thoughts on hp size of the pump?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Not until you tell me how good the well produces. You can measure it with a 5 gallon bucket and a second hand.

bob...

CHEVYMAN434

Reaction score
Pump

Im sorry im not used to doin this but im trying. So i pump the hand pump until it stips and count the time between. On the bottom of the hand pump is a pipe thats bout 3 ft long. How much pipe to add to it to be at the right depth to test it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well if your going to do this with drop pipe (usually the Pitcher Pump is hooked to the top of the well) you could add 20 foot of PVC to see if that will work. If not, 30 feet will. Pumping by hand with a Pitcher Pump should show you around 10 gallons per minute. Hopefully not less. You would have to really be stroking the handle up and down to do any better than 10 gpm. If the handle on the pump goes down easily and doesn't kick back, you are in good shape. This is after pumping for 5 minutes or so to be sure your not pulling the waterlevel down. Hopefully it will keep up with your pumping.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks