(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Advice needed for choosing 10" rough-in model

Default Advice needed for choosing 10" rough-in model

Would anyone have some recommendations on a good 10 rough-in toilet. Im doing online research and Im not finding any options that fit our situation well. Ive also read through several other posts related to 10 rough ins on these forums.

Were replacing an old toilet in our small powder room. I assumed wed get another Toto Drake since we like the one installed earlier this year in a different bathroom. However, we need a 10 rough in. It is also a tight space. The current toilet is a round front and total depth to the wall is a bit under 27. The center of the water supply is also 6 from the center of the toilet.

The Totos (ex. Carlyle) all appear 28+ deep. Wed really rather not loose the 2+ since we dont have much room in front of the toilet. Wed prefer to keep the same depth as we have now. Also, it appears that all the Toto 10 models require more room for the water supply.

In addition, it seems like all the other 10 models Ive seen discussed here have a variety of issues and some poor reviews. Does anyone have advice on the best compromise? Ive read reviews for the American Standard Cadet 3, various Gerber models, the Kohler Wellworth and, Eljer Titan.

As others have said, this is a great site for common sense advice.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

There are several Toto models that can be adapted to 10", but the real problem is the round bowl. There are a few, but none that will adapt to 10". You might examine Terry's Report On Low Flow Toilets linked off of the home page and look at the models that can be adapted and note the depth on the spec page. Some elongated bowls are really not much deeper than a round bowl. Keep watching your thread. There are several pros that deal with Toto toilets and have much more detailed knowledge.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The water supply can be an issue with the Toto skirted toilets, but you really need to look at the technical spec sheets for the profile. Depending on exactly how far it is offset and how high above the floor, different possitions will work.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some skirted bowl Toto toilets that work with a 10" Unifit and can have the water supply 5.5" to the left are
    Soiree
    Guinevere
    Carrollton
    These three elongated bowls would be 28-3/4" from wall to end of bowl.

American Standard makes a Cadet 3 with 10" tank.
    Round bowl 26-1/4" to end of bowl.

Thanks for the options. I missed the 26 model on their site the first time through but I just found it thanks to your post.

Based on all the posts, it sounds like American Standard is a riskier purchase but it could save us some space. Im not sure which way well go. I know the Toto would perform better.

Thanks again,

Dave

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the door will close, the extra inch or so on an elongated isn't a huge issue as you legs straddle it. Having that little extra length can be very handy - once you have one at home, you don't like to go back to a round bowl.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014