Sillcock blues. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Wryter

Reaction score
Got new quarter-turn sillcocks for the outside of my house - I "thought"the old ones had female threads screwed onto male brass threads on a fitting that was soldered to 1/2"copper pipe.
But - on closer inspection, I see that the old hose bibbs are actually MALE threaded, and the 1/2"copper is sweated INSIDE the male threads.
BIG SIGH HERE.

My question: (please - no hard flying objects) Can I take a hacksaw and cut off the old bibb so that the male brass threads remain on the copper pipe - then just screw the new sillcocks onto those male threads?

Or do I have to buy all new ones and sweat them onto the copper pipe after un-soldering the old sillcocks? I know this sounds weird, but I'm just enough of a numb-brain so that I get in a LOT of trouble!

Thanks, and be patient, please. . .

wallyworld

Reaction score
My question: (please - no hard flying objects) Can I take a hacksaw and cut off the old bibb so that the male brass threads remain on the copper pipe - then just screw the new sillcocks onto those male threads?
. .

no, that won't work. Just solder the new ones and don't burn your house down;)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those theads are tapered and they're tapered in the wrong direction for you to use...

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Got new quarter-turn sillcocks for the outside of my house - I "thought"the old ones had female threads screwed onto male brass threads on a fitting that was soldered to 1/2"copper pipe.
But - on closer inspection, I see that the old hose bibbs are actually MALE threaded, and the 1/2"copper is sweated INSIDE the male threads.
BIG SIGH HERE.

Or do I have to buy all new ones and sweat them onto the copper pipe after un-soldering the old sillcocks? I know this sounds weird, but I'm just enough of a numb-brain so that I get in a LOT of trouble!

Thanks, and be patient, please. . .

I'm corn-fused by your text that I've bolded. I would expect there to be a copper fitting on the rough-in to be 1/2" sweat x 1/2" female thread. What am I missing?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
He is saying the VALVE itself is 1/2"male threads, with the inside machine 1/2" CTS and in his case, it was soldered on. If he cut the valve on the outboard end of the threads, he would have a threaded male end, but as mentioned...the taper would be backwards!

Wryter

Reaction score
Trying to 'splain

OK - here's the build-up. Coming out of the concrete wall is a 1/2"copper pipe - sticks out about two inches. I thought there were threads ON the copper pipe, but no.
There's a hose bibb with a Male threaded connection going into the house supply. INSIDE this connection, the copper pipe is soldered in. Never saw anything like it.
To remove the sillcock/hose bibb I've gotta put a torch on the end of the sillcock that's soldered over the 1/2"copper pipe, and work it loose. Then I can add another sillcock.
My dilemma is that I've got two new 1/2"sillcocks with Female threads on the side that goes into the house supply. SIGH.

Guess I've either got to clean up the old sillcocks or get rid of my new ones and get some that have 1/2"female solder connections?

Man, this has got me freaked!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Or, sweat an adapter on the pipe...
Next thing you'll discover is the sillcocks you bought are a different length than what you had...

Last edited:

Wryter

Reaction score
Diff-runt strokes

Sillcocks aren't larger - just different. And you're right - I've gotta get an adapter, sweat it on the pipe, then thread on the sillcock. It will only stick out maybe another half inch or so. I think. . .(sometimes)

But hey - this job is easy compared to the Moen inserts I've gotta pry out of two showers! The last time I tried that I broke one puller and had the water shut off for six hours before I could get the danged thing out! Try explaining that to "the little woman." Yeah, sure. . . .(sigh) I've replaced all the faucets in the house with Delta or American Standard - the showers are the only "problems" I've gotta face. Moen has been very kind in helping - but I'd still never buy their products again. Too much hassle!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

With the right tools, which many plumbers have, I can remove ANY Moen stem in a matter of minutes. But since it could require any of four different pullers, or a combination of them, it is much more difficult for a DIYer to do it.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Sillcocks aren't larger - just different. And you're right - I've gotta get an adapter, sweat it on the pipe, then thread on the sillcock. It will only stick out maybe another half inch or so. I think. . .(sometimes)

But hey - this job is easy compared to the Moen inserts I've gotta pry out of two showers! The last time I tried that I broke one puller and had the water shut off for six hours before I could get the danged thing out! Try explaining that to "the little woman." Yeah, sure. . . .(sigh) I've replaced all the faucets in the house with Delta or American Standard - the showers are the only "problems" I've gotta face. Moen has been very kind in helping - but I'd still never buy their products again. Too much hassle!

At least you have 2" to work with, and concrete which won't burn when you solder on the right adapter.

I hear you there, friend. I've had that exact experience in two houses that I've owned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks