Suggestions on bathroom model

Users who are viewing this thread

netrouter

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a bathroom remodel and looking for some suggestions. I have attached an image that shows my current bathroom on the top and what I am looking to do on the bottom. Basically I want to swap my toilet and shower stall to allow a much larger walk in shower.

I believe my current shower area is to small for a toilet closet so I am not sure if I should just extend the shower stall to fit the toilet or if I need to turn the toiled sideways.

In the attached drawing I show the current plumbing fixtures with circles on the walls. The circle between the shower and toilet is the waste vent and the two circles on the bottom wall of the shower are the hot and cold supply lines.

This bathroom is on the second floor of a house. I am looking for suggestions on minimizing plumbing moves but still swapping the toilet and shower. Also is the current shower area to small for a toilet or is there a toilet I can buy that is small enough to sit in the space and still have the required clearances?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Joe

Attachments

• Bathroom.jpg
    Bathroom.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 438

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a 32" space for the toilet, with the toilet centered. I would suggest removing the wall stub in front of the toilet. The toilet requires at least a 3" drain, showers require a 2" drains. A tub is OK with a 1-1/2" drain. Vents are required of all fixtures. I see no need for some unique toilet design, with a 12" rough-in, any regular 12" toilet will fit quite well.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
You currently show 8' for the vanity. You could reduce this to 6', and still have a decent size vanity, even a double, then add 24" to the shower. You're going to spend a lot of money on plumbing rough-in changes otherwise.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You also show the tub not filling the width of the room. If it will fit, opt for a longer tub...it makes a huge difference if you like to soak. I put in a 6' one, and would really have liked a 7' one ( but it wouldn't fit). Most soakers have slanted backs and you don't get the full length. My mother's old CI 5' tub has nearly vertical ends, but it is totally utilitarian, it's not comfortable to lounge in.

netrouter

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are pulling up the old mortar bed now as we are leveling this room with adjacent rooms. It looks like we will have fairly easy access to the plumbing plus plenty of room for any needed changes.

We definitely plan on swapping the shower and toilet as we feel is gives a better layout to the bathroom. I had not considered SoutherMan's suggestion on shorting the vanity, but we might consider this option.

Thanks for the ideas.

Joe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks