My well cap is hissing at me ... I think it's hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Trenchdigger

Reaction score
Hi!

Until today, I paid it no mind, but my well cap has been hissing for a few months now. Today, the hissing got louder, and the circuit breaker has tripped twice in two days (could be the sign of a failing pump.)

I've tried googling a good answer, but have not been successful.

I do not know anything about the well pump, so don't ask. :p It has been working fine for five years (Length of time I've owned the house.) There is a new filter, and the pressure in the tank is fine (Both inbound, and outbound.)

Does the well cap create a seal? It could be possible the seal is compromised; I hit it with the tractor a few times.

Thanks!

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The hissing may actually be water spraying in the well casing from the pitless adaptor. I live one town away from you and will PM you with a contact for my well pump guy who is very good.

Trenchdigger

Reaction score
I pulled the well cap off and took a look down there. It's dark. :p

After shining a light, it looks like there is a break at the pitless adapter after all. Now to find a how-to on fixing it.

Thanks!

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
A job for an expert!

If it involves servicing the pitless adapter it will probably involve unseating the pump drop pipe from the pitless. This can be touchy for the inexperienced as you could lose the pump; drop pipe and wire in the well requiring a qualified expert to hopefully fish it out.

I recommend that you call the licensed pump contractor first! It could save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Trenchdigger

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Problem fixed.

There was a broken seal on the pitless valve/adapter. Also, when the pump was pulled, it looked about ready to fail, in an epic way.

So, we replaced the pump, and 200' of plumbing, and it's all running fine.

FYI: I used the guy 99k recommended (Trenchy wonders if it was 99k himself ...) did a good job, and was in and out in a few hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks