help needed with grohe wax cartridge install

Users who are viewing this thread

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
Help,

i have an older grohe shower fixture with the two stop valves and the wax cartridge (auto temperature control).

i purchased new stop valves (part #08355) and the wax cartridge (part# 47 111).

i reinstalled all three parts without much trouble but i can not seem to control the water temp now. it is either all hot or all cold.

is there some kind of adjustment on the wax cartridge?

any help would be welcome.

thanks in advance,

steve in southern cal.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Help,

i have an older grohe shower fixture with the two stop valves and the wax cartridge (auto temperature control).

i purchased new stop valves (part #08355) and the wax cartridge (part# 47 111).

i reinstalled all three parts without much trouble but i can not seem to control the water temp now. it is either all hot or all cold.

is there some kind of adjustment on the wax cartridge?

any help would be welcome.

thanks in advance,

steve in southern cal.

Go here, click on customer service email, fill out the form and they should get back to you with the exact information you need:

http://www.groheamerica.com/s/25_40...hp?if_url=http://12.130.64.173/contactus2.htm

HE

Last edited by a moderator:

geogridshorthair

Geologist
Reaction score
Website
laderasystems.net
i got it worked out

Howard,

i did write grohe america via email and they responded early today, they also took my phone call.

i turns out that the existing cartridge is a "reversed" cartridge. the original installer had installed the valve body upside down or reversed the hot/cold lines.

a reversed cartridge has a small set screw on the main shaft that is painted red color.

when i ordered parts i had not dis-assembled the unit first; i just ordered parts.

i hope Los Gatos Plumbing Supply will let me return the wrong cartridge for a new one.

the technical service rep at groheamerica was JR and new knew exactly what he was talking about.

thank you to groheamerica for having intelligent employees.

i will let you know on my progress.

steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Howard,

i did write grohe america via email and they responded early today, they also took my phone call.

i turns out that the existing cartridge is a "reversed" cartridge. the original installer had installed the valve body upside down or reversed the hot/cold lines.

a reversed cartridge has a small set screw on the main shaft that is painted red color.

when i ordered parts i had not dis-assembled the unit first; i just ordered parts.

i hope Los Gatos Plumbing Supply will let me return the wrong cartridge for a new one.

the technical service rep at groheamerica was JR and new knew exactly what he was talking about.

thank you to groheamerica for having intelligent employees.

i will let you know on my progress.

steve

Hi Steve,
Glad to hear that Grohe has been responsive and helpful.

As to whether or not your supply house will take back a 'used' cartridge? I would not hold my breath, but if not perhaps the Grohe people would take pity and do a 'We normally don't do this sort of thing, but here ya go'............

Hey...........Ya neva know........Can't hurt to ask.

HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks