<<<<Rheem Gas water heater HELP>>>

Users who are viewing this thread

Jayshiv_patel

Reaction score
hey i am jay

i have a Rheem Commercial Natural Gas water heater (Model # RFD 120-67-1)
i had problem with this water heater last year too. but after calling the service guy he just came and changed the thermocouple and it worked fine for like a month n turned of so i changed the thermocouple 4 to 5 times it worked fine till last month the water heater turned off on its own, and i called around to find out whats wrong with my water heater and i found i was using the wrong thermocouple. but now again the water heater started to turn off, even after changing the thermocouple and after it turns off i try to turn it back on the pilot lamp wont stay on, some times it will run for like 15 mins and turn off. but i did notice the gas valve was hot couple of times when i tried to turn the water heater on.. so is it a problem with the gas valve? please help me..
thank you

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
hey i am jay

i have a Rheem Commercial Natural Gas water heater (Model # RFD 120-67-1)
i had problem with this water heater last year too. but after calling the service guy he just came and changed the thermocouple and it worked fine for like a month n turned of so i changed the thermocouple 4 to 5 times it worked fine till last month the water heater turned off on its own, and i called around to find out whats wrong with my water heater and i found i was using the wrong thermocouple. but now again the water heater started to turn off, even after changing the thermocouple and after it turns off i try to turn it back on the pilot lamp wont stay on, some times it will run for like 15 mins and turn off. but i did notice the gas valve was hot couple of times when i tried to turn the water heater on.. so is it a problem with the gas valve? please help me..
thank you

What city and state do you live in so I can start watching the news. I need statistical data of people way over their head making repairs to water heating devices that prove disasterous.

Installing the wrong thermocouple ruined the assembly. Now you need that $400 gas valve that will come at a hefty price when a correct $19 thermocouple would of done the job.

Commercial water heaters have little or no warranties given their application and excessive use.

New water heater is probably the best bet at this point.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
eod8-suit.png

Hi, I'm the plumber. Heard you were messing around with a commercial water heater...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

I have never heard of a "wrong" thermocouple, especially if the burner works after it is installed. Although Baso does make a heavy duty one. IF the thermocouple is positioned in the wrong spot the burner can overheat it or burn it out. Either one will keep the pilot from lighting. But if it is overheating, it will turn the burners off after a few, possibly 15, minutes of operation.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rheem gas thermostat....

What did this fellow do to earn all the greif and sarcasim????

How can you install the wrong thermocoupling anyway????
they are universal except for the old Whirlpool flame lock junk...

So you really cant screw up a thermocoupling.....

The High limit in your gas thermostat has burnt out...

you can change the thermocoupling till you are blue inthe face but it will just keep going out....

Rheem should have a 6 year warranty on that gas thermostat...

now wether they will send you one or not is in queston..

how old is the heater???/..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks