Pressure assisted toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody have anything either positive or negative to say about mansfield pressure assisted ecoquantum toilet 146-119. I am about ready to plop down $750 bucks for 3 of these units because they are on sale and figured I better do some research on them first. Can't find much online unless I just haven't stumbled on the sites yet. Thanks:)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I never met a pressure assisted toilet I really liked. Yes, they can work, but a well designed gravity toilet has fewer parts and is easier to fix on the weekend when needed, since you'll be able to buy the parts anywhere. Some people find the resistance of the flush lever to be high (probably depends somewhat on the water pressure), they are definately noisier than a typical gravity flush, and some of them shread bits without dumping it all down the drain.

Willl

Reaction score
Hi Terry:),

5% is small and I wonder why they aren't more popular, perhaps costs. What drew my to them was there strong flush. There noise wouldn't bother me. If they break somewhat more than the others that would bother me. Thanks for the reply.:D

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you can get a better flushing gravity toilet for about the same, why go with a pressure assist? There are a lot of lousy toilets out there, both gravity flush and pressure assisted. It is my opinion that they invented the pressure assist to meet the EPA flushing requirements when they didn't want to redesign the toilet to actually work well with the smaller volume of water. Read through the recommendations - do a little research. If you haven't found a good gravity flush toilet, you haven't looked that far. Flush a pressure assisted toilet in the middle of the night and wake the baby...not a nice feature. Spray your bottom if you flush while sitting, not my preference. Spray droplets around the bathroom, not a very clean thing to do.

Willl

Reaction score
I was going to post back, you beat me to it jadnashua, that after reading everything on this site I have been pulled over to the gravity toilets. Toto drake to be more precise. Do like the toto ultramax but will be getting the toto drake because of its stronger flush. Unless anybody else here has something to add. Thanks for the help.:)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have had a Mansfield Quantum in my house since `1992. We love it. The are louder than a gravity toilet.....just the two of us and we don't care! It does get the job done. Sometimes if I use Charmin it might need a double flush, but overall, with good thin paper like Scott or Cosco, it handles everything!

Willl

Reaction score
To understand all these options more, why is the ultramax more expensive than the drake. Is it because it is of one piece? Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To understand all these options more, why is the ultramax more expensive than the drake. Is it because it is of one piece? Thanks

One piece toilets are always more expensive, related to production and marketing issues.

Most one-piece toilets come with seats.
You have to add the seat to a two-piece toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I have a Vespin and a Carlyle in my place. I like the skirted base as there's no nooks and crannies for crud to accumulate. One piece toilets are cast in pieces, then assembled. More steps, more chances for something to go wrong, therefore, more costly. The advantage of a one-piece is the gap between the tank and the bowl doesn't exist, so again, it is easier to keep clean.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
MaP rated at 800 grams
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks