Help on heating system additions...

Users who are viewing this thread

theGoalTender

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of adding an outdoor wood boiler (Aspen 175) to my forced hot water system (Peerless Oil Boiler). I am also thinking of adding an indirect hot water heater (dual coil) to the system.
I am attaching a picture of the current system as well as what I think should be the future system. Please let me know if there is anything I should do different.

Thanks,
Jim
CurrentHeatingSystem.jpg

FutureHeatingSystem.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'll bet within 3 years you abandon the whole thing and write it off as a bad decision.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Find and ask people that have them. Don't take the word of the seller or the fancy brochures. Everyone I've run across that got talket into one of these things has regretted the decision. They are wood hogs. hard to control the output. PIA to load and clean. System needs to be antifreezed because the pipes run outside. Costly and sometimes difficult to mate to existing piping. Require some kind of heat dump zone when the thing get too hot, which is quite often.

theGoalTender

Reaction score
Find and ask people that have them. Don't take the word of the seller or the fancy brochures. Everyone I've run across that got talket into one of these things has regretted the decision. They are wood hogs. hard to control the output. PIA to load and clean. System needs to be antifreezed because the pipes run outside. Costly and sometimes difficult to mate to existing piping. Require some kind of heat dump zone when the thing get too hot, which is quite often.

Thanks for clarifying. I have talked with people. This is an EPA certified model which is twice as efficient as the older models. Everyone I talked to about the newer ones love them.
My post was simply looking for help with the plumbing design.

Jim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks