GFCI / GFI recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
I am looking for a GFCI device, 20-amp, with no receptacles (i've heard these called dead-face, blank-face and pass-thru). here's the kicker - i'm looking for it to have two indicator LED's - green for "working, power is flowing" and red for "fault condition". all the brands i've looked at either have either either one LED that indications one condition or the other, or it has no LED at all.

recommendations of any makes and models of GFCI's that meet this criteria would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BeekerC

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Your not going to find what your looking for, besides, whats so hard about not seeing a light lit up to tell you its tripped?

Beekerc

Reaction score
Your not going to find what your looking for, besides, whats so hard about not seeing a light lit up to tell you its tripped?

Actually i did find one, the HUBBELL GFSTBF20I. it has solid green for normal operation, solid red for tripped/fault and flashing red for end-of-life. now i just need to find a supplier.

why do i need to have an active visual for both conditions? call it a personal quirk. not seeing any lights on the switch could mean that it faulted or it could mean that the breaker tripped. i prefer active indicators to passive ones because the presense of a light means something, the absense of the light could mean there's a problem or it could mean you've got a bad light.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If you Google "HUBBELL GFSTBF20I" you'll find several suppliers, including Grainger, which is fairly ubiquitous. Prices range from $40ish-$60ish.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Plug one of those green LED night lights into a standard GFCI recep.

Green = good, red = tripped.

Crap.... you would have to bypass the photo cell.

I tried.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Actually i did find one, the HUBBELL GFSTBF20I. it has solid green for normal operation, solid red for tripped/fault and flashing red for end-of-life. now i just need to find a supplier.

Damn, your good! :D

why do i need to have an active visual for both conditions? call it a personal quirk. not seeing any lights on the switch could mean that it faulted or it could mean that the breaker tripped. i prefer active indicators to passive ones because the presense of a light means something, the absense of the light could mean there's a problem or it could mean you've got a bad light.

you have too much time on your hands. :D

Beekerc

Reaction score
If you Google "HUBBELL GFSTBF20I" you'll find several suppliers, including Grainger, which is fairly ubiquitous. Prices range from $40ish-$60ish.

I googled per Mikey's suggestion and while trying to determine if what I wanted was really worth the cost, I remembered that I have a graybar account that i seldom use, but hopefully is still active. So I called my graybar rep, even though I've never seen Hubbell advertised in any of their flyers or on their shelves, and they were able to special order them for me at quite a bit less than $40/each.

PS. I was actually starting to think how i could make it work with a Pass & Seymour GFI (red for fault) and some sort of low profile night light, especially considering how regular GFI receptacles seem to be cheaper than GFI dead-face units - all i could figure is dead-faces are in less demand, therefore more expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks