Moen Chateau, Hot/Cold Reversed

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been doing a bathroom remodel and I only planned on re-tiling the walls and not touching the plumbing, but while I've got the walls off the studs I figured it might be a good time to deal with a plumbing issue.

The shower/bath in one of my bathrooms has the hot and cold reversed. The plumbing was put in 1998 when the place was built, so there the valve is not pressure or hydrostatic. The feeder lines appear to be some kind of plastic.

I know with the newer valves all you need to do is pull the valve control out and then flip it to reverse the hot/cold feed. Do you think that is possible with the older valve located in my shower? If not, what is the best way to fix the issue? Switch the feeder lines? Put in a new control valve?

Thanks

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
That is a moen faucet,

You can simply grab the centre stem and give it half a turn. (no need to remove the cartridge or shut the water off), That will have the hot and cold water in the right positions. Even if the tubing (hot/cold) are reversed in the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

As stated, just rotate the handle stem halfway around. If you remove the core and rotate it you will still have reversed water. I once had to drive 40 miles to rotate it for a customer who insisted on removing and rotating the core, even when I tried to give him specific directions over the phone. Then he questioned the fee for 30 seconds of work.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
While you have that wall open are you considering doing anything with those polybutylene pipes?

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Guys,

Thanks for the help. Pretty awesome that you can take a look at that beat up valve and tell me who mfg it and what to do to correct it! You rock!

What's the best way to go about rotating the stem without rotating the entire core?

I hadn't planned on doing anything with the feeder lines, as I'm just redoing the shower walls so I can get the place ready to sell. I don't want to touch the plumbing because I think the code says once I make any changes I'll have to update the valve to a thermostatic or pressure static valve, which of course equals more $$$$.

Why do you ask? If there is a good reason to do it, I will.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The center part where the handle attaches just turn that 180 degrees.

Polybutylene pipes (the grey tubing) is bad news and they probably will want some $$$$ knocked off the price of the house when it sells.

Johnny Drama

Reaction score
Easy enough. I'll let you know how it works out.

I don't think I can replace the gray tubing. It's a condo and the tubes come up from the floor, which is some type of cement substrate that appears to have been poured around the tubes...and I'm sure the person below doesn't want me to be chipping away at it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks