Pfister Water Running

Users who are viewing this thread

NOPLUMMERHOMEOWNER

Reaction score
To start, I was given this site from a freind. I have to say that this is my new daily site. I love this whole site. Very well laid out, nice and SO SO much informaiton.

On to the question that I couldnt find with my searchs.

I have a a older home, I just purchased a year or so ago. It has been nothing but a nightmare since I moved in. From small to large repairs this house is killing me.

My new top of the list problem I have is I have a shower with what I have found is a Pfister 3 knob shower system, with cold, hot and the "diverter". About 6 months ago it started dripping from the tub spicket(sp). Not from the knob but out the spout. It is the cold side NOT the hot. So of course being a young guy that works on cars for a living I just tightend the knob more and more. Until we are here this week and there is now a steady stream from the the spout. No way to slow it more than a stream.

I have searched this site and found that the most common thing is leaking either from the knob and or in the wall.

I want to get an idea of what Id have to do to repair it?

I have seen kits that are "rebuilds". Like this one:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=54579-1366-39630&lpage=none

1) Do I just need a valve?
2) Should I change one, both, all?
3) Can this be done from the tub side?
The bathroom has a tile wall and when the chrome trim that covers the "valve" is removed the hole that it passes through is about a 1/2 dollar size.
4) Are all valves the same?
5) Should a upgrade be done?

Thank you for any and all help that you give. I know that you all work very hard and have a skill set that i just can grasp. I have the greatest RESPECT for you all.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
All valves are NOT the same, but you said yours was a PP and that kit looks like a PP kit.

To fix the leak, you just need the flat rubber washer, and the seat which is inside the valve. It looks like that kit comes with the socket to remove the stems, but you will also need to ask them for a seat wrench.

Make sure that you turn each stem part way to "open" before unscrewing or reinstalling.

We could recommend genuine PP parts, but this is about the most basic faucet there is, and the quality of that kit probably will not disappoint.

NOPLUMMERHOMEOWNER

Reaction score
Once again.......um.

Here is a part explosion.
http://parts.bdhhi.com/PDF/01series-7.pdf

Should I replace what they call the "stem assy"? Should I use the newer design ceramic?

I assume that it just untreads from the valve body and then you coat the stem treads with (??????) and put it back in?

Should I do both the hot and cold, or is this one of those times that you dont fix what anit broken?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
many times a new washer and seat will suffice. However if the stem is badly worn replacement is in order.
As for upgrading to ceramic HJ could advise you on that Price Pfister is not a bradn that I am all that familiar with... It's a regional thing although big box is selling them here and I'm seeing more and more now.

NOPLUMMERHOMEOWNER

Reaction score
thank you.

I assume that if I service by replacement of the whole stem assm. that is can be done without access from the other side of the wall?

If i just put a new washer and seat, I cant do it with out access from the other side of the wall?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pp

I always change the PP tub/shower faucets to the ceramic stems, and 99.999+% of the time it is a seamless process. BUT, I had one last week that could not be converted because of some ideosyncrasy during the production of the faucet body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks