Adjusting receptacles due to new tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
An Arlington BE1 box extender will fit that application.
d_2534.jpg

Those won't work. The edge of the tile goes over the sides of the box underneath.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
d_2534.jpg

Those won't work. The edge of the tile goes over the sides of the box underneath.
Then have your tile guy come back and fix his screw up. The tile should NOT be past the box edge.

The BE1's are smaller than the box and are tapered. They might fit. Unless the tile is considerably inside the box they usually do.

Combustible or not, I like to use them.

B2CHR

Reaction score
Yea tile job messed up to start with. I always run my tile down to the outlet mounting screw so the outlet will lay on top of the tile. In this case I would cut a small piece of tile to slip up under the outlet "wings" and tighten the outlet down on them and install a larger face plate.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Then have your tile guy come back and fix his screw up. The tile should NOT be past the box edge.

The BE1's are smaller than the box and are tapered. They might fit. Unless the tile is considerably inside the box they usually do.

Combustible or not, I like to use them.
He took 6 days for a 3 day job and I don't want to clean up after him a 7th time. Besides the tile is a "crackled" finish and would probably fall apart if he tried to dry cut them.

I'd like to use the extenders too, and bought a few for where I can fit them without cutting them all up.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Spacers worked great. They are rubbery plastic and connect together like legos. I had to use between 5 and 9 layers, depending on the locations.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Spacers worked great. They are rubbery plastic and connect together like legos. I had to use between 5 and 9 layers, depending on the locations.

Universal spacers:
a 1/4" copper tube and tubing cutter and you cut to length on the job-
or, 1/4" plastic humidifier pipe, you cut with knife, same deal-

You can also wrap your own spacer with coat hanger wire but it strongly resists this treatment. If you have a gas flame, heating the wire red hot and letting it cool takes the argument out of it.

Don't forget your long 6-32 screws.
:)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks