Alcove stud wall coverings not covered by surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

topshot

Reaction score
I'm getting a 32" tub with shower surround that's meant for stud walls. If your alcove is deeper than the tub/surround, what do you typically cover the remaining portion in front of the apron with?

I'm looking at sheets of acrylic or plastic maybe over drywall since I have no interest in doing tile. I'd assume there's no trouble finding something like that at a big box. My real question is how to finish the edges at the corner where it will meet with drywall on the perpendicular wall? I'd also put the same material above the surround so the wall doesn't get damaged from excess spray.

Thoughts or other things I should consider?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
space

First you have to build a structure to fill the floor to ceiling gap, and once that is done and the tub is properly installed, (I am not sure at this time that is going to happen given your description), then you finish its wall the same as the rest of the bathroom.

topshot

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. Yes, the studs for the alcove exist (floor to ceiling). There will be maybe a couple inches of alcove wall left once the tub and surround are in. The bathroom will be drywalled, including the remaining area in the alcove not covered by the apron/surround (if needed).

I know a lot of water will get outside the area of the surround over time (spray bouncing off your body or kids splashing), so what water-resistant wallcovering besides tile should I use and how are the edges finished (should be one corner and one along a flat wall)?

topshot

Reaction score
Bump. FINALLY getting ready to finish off this remodel and still not sure what will be best in this area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any waterproof covering you could install there that would look good other than tile. I think I'd probably just use a good semi-gloss paint and make sure the curtain or door is properly closed.

topshot

Reaction score
Maybe I should just learn to tile, eh? Was trying to go as simple and frugal as possible but I want it to last a long time also. There will be doors for the alcove so most water will likely hit above the surround.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks