Septic Design Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

telleee

Reaction score
I bought a house a year ago and the septic drain line to the leach field froze and broke this winter. I have repaired the line however, I realized that the leach field is ultimately lower than the septic tank although the drain line has a change in grade along the way and the pipe is full between the leach field and somewhere near the change in grade. My leach field is approximately 600-700ft from the tank and I live in Colorado at 9600ft so the winter months are extremely cold. Is there a way to correct this problem without major renovations of the system?

The drain line is only about 18" deep where it froze so I was planning on bringing some fill to cover the line to about 40" although with the line full I am not sure this is the fix.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Telleee

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about septic systems, but I'm almost certain that the drain line to and from the septic tank should be sloped like a drain to a sewer main at 1/4" per foot. It should not have standing water to freeze. If the change in grade creats a low spot, that would have to be removed, and just piling more soil on it will not fix the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks