Power vent water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

topshot

Reaction score
I'm removing my roof vent (for furnace and WH) in a remodel so was looking at getting a power vent model rather than going with electric since it's still much cheaper to heat with gas even today. However, after reading here it seems the new FVIR req has made the gas heaters pretty cantankerous (and much more expensive).

I need a 40 gal. Local supply house has the PV Rheem for $1100+. The other has A.O. Smith for $818. Didn't locate a Bradford White here and I understand they'll only sell to pros anyway. I could also get Richmond or Whirlpool (j/k on that last one - don't even offer a PV that I could see).

I'm guessing a direct vent would be much cheaper, but I'm too far from an exterior wall and don't really want to move the heater to where it wouldn't be in a central location even though I'll be doing a pex manifold also.

Should I just go ahead with an electric model? If so which brands should I stay away from?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have been using a Richmond (Rheem) power vent for several years and I really like it. Since I installed mine, the venting requirements have changed a great deal. I have to use 4" pipe and was limited to just a few feet. (I don' recall exactly how much) Today, you can use small pipe and run it quite a long distance. There are two negative issues that I can see with a power vent. They cost considerably more than standard vent models, and if you remove the old vent and close the hole in the roof, you are pretty well committed to stay with power vents or go to additional expense to reinstall a conventional vent. Those may or may not be serious issues for you, but I think you should be aware of them.

topshot

Reaction score
I do plan to remove the old vent and that's why I'm looking at the options. A vanity will cover over where it used to be upstairs. After seeing the issues with most of the new gas WHs because of FVIR, maybe I should just go electric. I know we'll have a lot of scale buildup though.

My old gas heater still works fine, but it's at least 14 years old (it was here when we moved in).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rheme and Bradford White seem to have reliable gas WH, so I wouldn't let the FVIR thing be an issue. The tank will likely be taller, but if you are putting in a new vent, that shouldn't be a big deal.

topshot

Reaction score
Are they worth twice the cost of the Richmond (made by Rheem) or even more than that of an electric?

TheOak

Reaction score
If you are going to convert to natural gas, and you are going to run new venting anyway ... have you thought about a tankless?

topshot

Reaction score
I already have NG. I'm getting rid of the current vent for other reasons. Just trying to figure out what's the best option for a new WH in the long run. Yes, I've considered tankless, but would only do it as a supplement to a new tanked one.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get the richmond

the new FVIR power vent heaters have gone up in price
substantially.....

if you can get a Richmond Power vent for about 850
you had better grab it...

they are sticking it to you at the supply house for 1100..

Also, I suggest that you go with a 50 gallon heater.....

if you are going to pay that much you might as well geta s much bang for your buck as you can with a 50 gal

topshot

Reaction score
The Richmond 40 gal PV is only $650. I didn't bother looking at a 50 gal. To be fair, I think the Rheem I was quoted was a 50 - they may not stock the 40.

I thought $1100 was pretty steep but not having multiple Rheem dealers in town it's hard to compare. There are only 2 plumbing supply places in Terre Haute outside the big boxes. What would be a competitive price for a 40-50 gal PV Rheem or BW in Indy?

Am I just better off moving it near an outside wall and getting a direct vent? No added electricity costs, expensive motors to replace, etc. My house footprint isn't huge (38x28), but right now it's central and directly below the planned second story bathroom we'll be using. However, moving it would put it nearly under the first floor bathroom my kids will use. Since I'll be using a pex manifold, will it make much difference in delivery time to upstairs?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rheem power vents

The 50 gal Rheem power vents will run about 800 with tax... Call the local
Men... Hardware store in your area and they should be able to quote
you on a 50 gal Richmond power vent

I dont have any experience with any direct vent units...
so I dont know what to tell you about any of them.
they are not very popular in this area and I will rarely run into one....

I do know if you are adding on a extra bathroom and you
have some kids, eventually as they get bigger,
you will wish you had gotten the 50gal unit vs the 40...

topshot

Reaction score
We already have 2 full baths. We're just moving their locations to better suit the floorplan. And our boys are 18, 11 and 2 so the 18 yo will be gone before the 2 yo starts using up tons of water so I have no issue with only a 40 like we've had. If a 50 is also stocked and not much more I may consider it, too.

I think I'll make a separate post about direct vents.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think you will find direct vents extremely expensive...

topshot

Reaction score
Interestingly, the prices on Rheem I was able to find were that way. $100 or so more. The BW was $100 or so less. To me the units themselves should be nearly identical except for the motor and circuit board, which should add quite a bit to the cost. You shouldn't need the FVIR crap on them either since they both draw in outside air (though I know there are some models of each that still get it from inside). As an engineer, I don't see why DV would be as expensive (though the coax pipe is surely more than PVC) though demand for them may be so low there isn't the volume discounts.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Are they worth twice the cost of the Richmond (made by Rheem) or even more than that of an electric?

You've got to do the math on the relative fuel costs. When I lived in Upstate NY with high electric rates I bought an expensive direct fired oil hot water heater and it paid for itself in less than two years. But where I live now I can't justify the cost.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is the demand for them that makes them high.

Like Mark I rarely see them...they are like hens teeth.

topshot

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting the Richmond 6g40pvw OR 6g50pvw. They were $659 and $739 I think. I found it odd there was nothing on Google for those part numbers though.

Or should I go for the AO Smith for $818? Seems like there have been lots of complaints about them the past few years (though I don't know if that also applies to the power vent version).

Or I could drive the 75 minutes to Indy and get the Rheem Mark mentioned for ~$800. Where was that from Mark and will they sell to consumers? I may be over picking up the new furnace next week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks