(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag For a Riding Mower

Default Bag For a Riding Mower

No plumbing question ..... Got an old riding lawn mower. Sears Craftsman model 917.270840. I cannot even find the model in the Sears web site. Really poor web site. Google found a few unrelated links on the model. I am looking for a side bag attachment or rear mount hard or soft bags. Found some Sears rear mount bags for $300. I cannot even verify that this Sears bag fits my mower. That is a lot of money to me. Do I have any other options?

Thanks

Default mower

The model number shows up in the parts site, but it does not show the bag.

Try these guys: http://www.m-and-d.com/index.html

I just got a new bag for my Ryobi gas blower-vac and it took me forever to find one on the internet, but these guys had one that was different but fit. MTD has bought out just about everyone and they make all the parts, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The model number shows up in the parts site, but it does not show the bag.
    SearsPartsDirect.com. Very useful for finding a replacement part number or want to see a parts drawing and you don't have a manual.
    Tony F.

Default Can I Make One?

I found plastic box type and cloth type. Well, either way, it is just a big diameter hose from the grass clipping output to the back into the bag, plastic or cloth. Right? I can stitch up a clother bag and hang it there. All I need is a big hose. Is this do-able? If the whole setup is $150, I would buy it. The price I see is around $400. At that price, I am cheap.
    Last edited by xroad; 11-12-2008 at 12:30 PM.

With a hose and duct tape we can get guys back from the moon alive so I think the same could be done with your grass clippings.

How big is the hose?

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    With a hose and duct tape we can get guys back from the moon alive so I think the same could be done with your grass clippings.

How big is the hose?
    I can only look at the photo on the Sears web site. Went to the local Sears store hoping to get a better feel of how the thing is constructed and maybe take a few measurements. Well, they got pretty much nothing in stock. Everything has to be ordered on line. Bummer.

The grass clipping output chute looks like a flattened big hose. I have to go get a better look.

Quote Originally Posted by xroad View Post
    I can only look at the photo on the Sears web site. Went to the local Sears store hoping to get a better feel of how the thing is constructed and maybe take a few measurements. Well, they got pretty much nothing in stock. Everything has to be ordered on line. Bummer.

The grass clipping output chute looks like a flattened big hose. I have to go get a better look.
    Isn't this to replace parts on your old mower? Just measure the size of the deck discharge fitting. Probably 6".

Isn't this to replace parts on your old mower? Just measure the size of the deck discharge fitting. Probably 6".
    The mower did not come with any bags. Just shoots out the clippings to the side.

Have you tried e-bay? Mowers break all the time with key parts unavailable, so guys part them out. I sold an engine off my old one. Maybe someone never used their bag and now wants to get rid of it.

How big is the hose?
    U'd be surprized what Southern Man can do with Duct Tape...
    One nite we wuz comin down the mountin awl lickerd up on corn licker after we checked the still. I swerved off the cliff n torn a fender of the wifes new good used pick up truck. We put that fender back on with duct tape and painted over the tape. she never new what happened.
    Hillbilly Eng-in-ear
    Moonshine Maker
    Dumb as a Stump

Hillbilly Man its just some people (Hacks) rely heavily on things like duct tape...

Sometimes its a case of ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But, when it's your first choice all the time its not good!

Redwood, a funny story here about duct tape and blondes. My husband was in electrical and would never wear his wedding band. Well, this girlfriend of mine, a true blonde, once felt that I was being slighted. So, she asked my husband, " why don't you ever wear your wedding band?" and, she asked this with a smirk on her face. I was stunned but laughing. So, being the nice man my husband was, he told her, " WELL, I don't want to complete a circuit while working." I was watching her while she was thinking. It took a while, but then she spoke and told him, " well, why don't you JUST wrap it up in duct tape?"

LOL...

I was working with my little brother one day on his pool heater and he was coming back down to where I was. He jumped off the deck and some how his ring was caught on the rail....
    It was pretty ugly!
    At the ER they x-rayed it then came in to check for feeling and movement...
    Everything was okay....
    The doctor said he was very lucky as she had the same type of injury when her large poorly trained mutt pulled on the leash...
    She had nerve damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Redwood, a funny story here about duct tape and blondes. My husband was in electrical and would never wear his wedding band. Well, this girlfriend of mine, a true blonde, once felt that I was being slighted. So, she asked my husband, " why don't you ever wear your wedding band?" and, she asked this with a smirk on her face. I was stunned but laughing. So, being the nice man my husband was, he told her, " WELL, I don't want to complete a circuit while working." I was watching her while she was thinking. It took a while, but then she spoke and told him, " well, why don't you JUST wrap it up in duct tape?"
    You have to give her lots of credit. Most people off the street would not understand what "complete a circuit" mean.