(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Maytag HVAC

Default Maytag HVAC

We are looking at putting in a 14 SEER & 15 SEER with Variable Speed Maytag 1200 series---one unit upstairs and one for downstairs.We are somewhat torn between 2 AC units and 2 furnace units (propane) VS 2 Heat Pumps with propane backup.We live in NC and the house will be very tight new construction....2500 sq ft.Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Averages:

Heating Degree Days 4200
    Cooling Degree Days 1200

Not sure what the cost difference is, but you may want to look into geothermal.

I would avoid the Maytag and go for Carrier, Rheem. Lennox or better yet Thermo-Pride.

I would like to know who Maytag Central Air is manufactured by. We know Maytag doesn't make it. They don't even make washing machines any more, because they were sold to Whirlpool. Maytag window air conditioners were made by Fedders, and as we all know, the only value they now have is as a paperweight, with the demise of Fedders.

Maytag is made by Nordyne

I shudda guessed that right away. Here is the dope: http://www.nordyne.com/Web/ResLand.aspx and of course they don't even mention the many private label units they produce, such as Comfort Range.

Is there any difference on the A/C end with regards to energy efficiency/cost in using a heat pump vs. a traditional stand alone central A/C unit?

Thanks

Default heat pumps

In effect, when using a heat pump it is the same as running your air conditioner 12 months a year. IF you are in an area, such as the TVA with subsidized electrical rates or are in a mild area, the electrical bills might be manageable, but in most cases a gas/electric combination is going to be the least expensive to operate.

You might also want to look into a duel fuel electric meter.

By adding both a propane and a heat pump, you can reduce your electric rates by about half and reduce your total heating costs.

A ground source heat pump combined with duel fuel is the least expensive way to heat a house here in MN.
    Important note Ė I donít know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.