Airtrol fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how an airtrol fitting works on a bladderless expansion tank?
Quite simply, it doesn't.

In my opinion and also the opinion of many others that have had the frustration of working with the B&G airtrol it is the single worst piece of equipment that Bell & Gossett ever foisted on the world.

NH, try this:

http://www.bellgossett.com/literature/files/599.pdf

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
still not sure what he's talking about but I'll roll on and assume its the tank valve. All it does is allow air to break the vaccuum so that you can drain the tank. If you still have this set-up, do yourself a favor and put a bladder tank in.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I just bought a blatter tank to replace my existing one. I was just wonering what I was removing. Since we are on the topic... Should I install an air scoop with my new bladder tank? It is recommended by Watts just wanted to know if it is over kill?

Thanks again...

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
The ATF tank fitting. Yeah, it is a fancy air vent AND level control of sorts when trying to get the "proper" level of water in a conventional expansion tank. Follow the B&G instructions and learn seven productive methods of pulling out your hair.

Rocky, some systems work just fine without an air eliminator (scoop) fitting, others don't. For the best operation you need several pipe diameters of straight pipe before the air eliminator. Unless you can easily do this I suggest installing the bladder tank without the air eliminator and see how it goes. The best point to connect the bladder tank is before the circulating pump suction.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with a scoop type air eliminator. They are a waste of time and money. Get a Spiro-Vent and do it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks