Main water line repair advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Microburst

Reaction score
I have a slow leak where the main water line enters my basement wall through a rubber boot. The leak is coming from around or behind where the boot is clamped to the water pipe. The main water line is blue in color and looks to be about ¾” or 1” in size. I am guessing the best approach to fix this would be to dig around the pipe on the outside of the house, cut and remove a section of pipe that enters the house, then replace this section of pipe. My question is, what kind of pipe and fittings should I use to do this and where can I get the materials? The house was built in 2003 and is located in the Atlanta area. Thanks!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As a homeowner without having the specialized PEX tools your best option is probably cutting out the bad section and putting in a new replacement piece using Sharkbite Couplings. Big Orange Box has them.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
But does the big orange have the PEX¿

Might want to leave this to a plumber but I'm sure he'd appreciate you digging to the problem though!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Blue pipe is polybutylene, and if it breaks in one spot it will probably also crack elsewhere. PB tubing is typically replaced rather than repaired.

Microburst

Reaction score
How can I tell if it is PEX or Polybutylene? Will it be marked as such?

Also, can I replace the section going through the wall with CPVC coupled to the "blue pipe" on the outside, or is this not recommended?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I missed the 2003 part.
I doubt that it would be polybutene
It could be PEX or Poly.

The pipe may be marked on the side as to brand and type.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks