1964 House with Original Wall Mounts

Users who are viewing this thread

jsm88

Reaction score
Just purchased a house built in '64 with the original wall mount toilets. The waste pipes are copper and it appears unlikely that I would be able to reconfigure them to floor pipes for any reasonable cost. Toilets need replacing badly (finish on toilets, not structure/mounting.) The existing toilets are AS (no model) with the tank outside the wall.

Several years back this site helped me learn enough to dyi replace my condos floor mounted toilets with a couple of nice Totos, hoping to find the same sort of help this time around. :eek:

1) Are there standard dimensions for wall mounts "brackets"? Have they changed since '64? I have not opened up the wall yet, but one toilet backs on the main entry hall, so I'd prefer to wait on that - want to know what I need to look for before tearing out drywall - and a related question -

2) Will i need to remove the drywall behind the toilets to replace them?

3) Is It reasonable to attempt to replace wall mounts with rear outlet floor mounts?

4) Should one of the european style tank-in-wall systems work with my current "carrier" or do they require installing a new carrier?

5) Is there an easy way to determine the water pressure and gpm at this home? - it appears to have impressive water pressure, trying to figure out if one of the commercial style systems would work.

6) Does Toto make any wall/rear outlet styles? Very much like the ones I have, thought they must due to european sales of their other toilets but have not been able to find any

I'm sure there are more questions, I appreciate all the thoughts/help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The typical 1964 replacement for A/S is the American Standard Glenwall.
It mounts on the same hardware fairly quickly.

The Crane Rexmont is a piece of junk.

Inwall carriers require a lot of work and plumbing. New drywall too.

Changing to floor mount requires a lot of work too.

I'm not a big fan of the pressure assist toilets, the Glenwall will shred the paper and other things a bit, but is very plug resistant.

Without dropping big dollars, it's the best choice.

glenwall_picture.jpg

American Standard Glenwall with pressure assist

Last edited:

jsm88

Reaction score
oh, and what is a "Spud" - I assume it's the water inlet connection, just had not encountered the term with the floor mounts

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are talking spuds, then it would be a commercial bowl.
Those use a flushometer instead of a tank.
You can use one of those if you change your water meter, water service and your piping to the toilet.

Expect to spend thousands for the water supply upgrade alone if you want to go with a commercial bowl.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You said it was an American Standard with a tank. It was the Glenwall and the new one, or any other wall mount toilet, will fit the same bracket as you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks