(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oven Tripping Breaker

Default Oven Tripping Breaker

Hello all,

The oven has worked well for years on this circuit, now it has tripped the breaker 3 times in the past 2 months.

it is a 50 amp breaker and a 6 AWG wire.

Also, it is clear that the oven casuses it to trip and not the stove.

edit: One of the wires going into the breaker appears burned .Where should I start with this?

Thanks for any replys!
    Last edited by molo; 10-17-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I'd look at the oven's heating elements. The lead and insulation could be breaking down, and occasionally shorting out.

CB also can fail. I'd look for a loose connection at the CB. Look for signs of overheating - discolored wiring insulation, metal color changes.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Upon closer inspection it is a 50 amp breaker and a 6 AWG wire.

Also, it is clear that the oven casuses it to trip and not the stove.

More info..........

One of the wires going into the breaker appears burned
    Last edited by molo; 10-17-2008 at 12:48 PM.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the screw clamp at the breaker isn't loose, I'd lean towards the breaker needing to be replaced or you may have a burned buss bar. I'd pull the breaker and look at the contacts.

When the oven is on and working, feel the breaker and see if it is getting hot. If it is, I think I'd replace if, but check the bus bar first.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    If the screw clamp at the breaker isn't loose, I'd lean towards the breaker needing to be replaced or you may have a burned buss bar. I'd pull the breaker and look at the contacts.

When the oven is on and working, feel the breaker and see if it is getting hot. If it is, I think I'd replace if, but check the bus bar first.
    As a matter of fact the breaker is at the top left of the bus bar. About 1.5" up from this the bus bar is burned. along the top edge. All things considered this has worked for years since the bus bar was burned.
    The upper screw on the breaker has some browning around it, but very little. It was a bit loose.
    Perhaps I could relocate the breaker to a point further from the burn spot on the bus bar and reinstall the wires?

Thanks for any replys!
    Last edited by molo; 10-17-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    Gore Vidal.

Another interesting development.

I moved the breaker to another place on the bus bar.

Turned the oven on and it worked for 10 minutes then stopped.
    BUT It didn't flip the breaker and the stove still works!!

Prior to moving the breaker it was flipped when the oven was on for a few minutes.

????????
    Gore Vidal.

Maybe, you just baked one too many cookies, and time for a new stove.

#1 what brand of box is it?

#2 First I would turn off the main breaker and test to be sure it is off...then remove all breakers and inspect the bus bars and breakers

I would at very least replace the 50A breaker and inspect closely the cable ends going to it for any evidence of heating regardless of how minor.

Lastly I would pull the meter and inspect the main breaker.

I recomend you have this done by a licenced electrician...

Breaking the meter seal in some jurisdictions can cause problems that you will not want.

Is the breaker box in a damp area?

Default oven

The oven uses a lot more current than the burners. IF the circuit breaker is "burnt" that usually means a loose connection, and if so that loose connection WILL overheat the breaker and trip it even without a short circuit. Replace the circuit breaker because it is probably damaged by this time.

Measure the voltage drop across the closed breaker contacts while its carrying the rated load current.
    >100 mV = bad contacts.
    <30 mV = good contacts.

You might also have a loose connection at the breaker. Clamped connections should have voltages way smaller than 30 mV while carrying rated current.
    Last edited by Thatguy; 10-18-2008 at 10:00 AM.

How do you explain this:

I moved the breaker in the box.

Now the oven turns off after about 10 minutes but doesn't trip the breaker and the stove still works!
    Gore Vidal.

I assume this is a range (cooktop/oven one unit)??

Perhaps I could relocate the breaker to a point further from the burn spot on the bus bar and reinstall the wires?

New breaker, new location.

Next step is to check terminations at wall JB behind the range.

Next, open the access panel to the control wiring and look for burned terminals.

Then a trip to Sears.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Keep doing this so you can come back and tell us you burned your house to the ground, and you just had to let us know!
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post
    Keep doing this so you can come back and tell us you burned your house to the ground, and you just had to let us know!
    Yikes.............
    Last edited by molo; 10-18-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Gore Vidal.