Tapping new PVC sewer line into old existing clay line

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Richmond

Reaction score
Hello all - I am needing to run a sewer line from a newly remodeled outbuilding (in which I'm adding a bathroom) to an existing clay sewer line that runs from my house to a septic tank. I believe the distances and slopes will work. My question primarily is - what's the best way to cut into the clay line? (I've searched these forums and read about diamond cutters on angle grinders, saws-alls, and chain cutters.) The clay line looks to be about 6" on the outside, but after looking at the rubber clamp-on adaptors at the local hardware store it looks to me like nominal 4" clay is almost 6" on the outside - is that correct? I'm assuming I can cut into the clay line, use two of these connectors, put in a 4" PVC "T" connector, and be okay - , but I would appreciate advice from more experienced hands. Thank you very much.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Us experienced hands would tell you that you cannot use a tee, and would wonder if the rest of the project is going to be done correctly.

Don Richmond

Reaction score
With advice from places such as this and more knowledgeable friends, I hope so, and plan on doing so. I have no interest in doing a hack job. I put in a septic system many years ago on a house I built, including tying in a line from a second building (a mobile home where my dad lived) and it was all inspected and all was good.

I typed "T" even though I knew it wasn't going to be an actual T, but I wasn't sure whether it should be a 45 degree or the type where the line comes in via a curve - forgive me for not knowing the terminology. I do not pretend to know the answers - that's why I'm here. I would greatly appreciate any help on both the method of making the connection and the pieces involved - I am just getting started on figuring it out. Thanks for any help, and all best to all.

Don Richmond

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim - I've checked at the local hardware store and they carry the fernco connectors, so I think I'm okay there. Any info on cutting the clay pipes, and also recommendations on the best connectors to use would be much appreciated. Thanks to all -

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use a chain snapper on vitrified clay. Never had a problem with it!

246_Soil_Pipe_Cutter_3C.jpg

A k-12 with a diamond blade will also work.

partner-concrete-saw-1.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cut

I'm trying to sell my Ridgid snappers like that. Make the two cuts where you want to take the pipe out, then slide the snappers to the middle of the "take out" piece and loosen the chain so you can tilt the snapper to make a diagonal cut. After it cuts you should be able to drop the piece out.

Don Richmond

Reaction score
Thanks much, HJ and Redwood, for the replies - I'll rent the chain snapper. Should I use 2 45 degree connectors to make the connection? Thanks again to all - DR

Don Richmond

Reaction score
I'm coming in at a 90 degree angle, basically. What connecting fittings are best - a 90 degree sanitary T or a 45 degree wye and then another 45 degree bend? Forgive me if I am too ignorant to properly ask the question, and thanks again for your help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
seeing as you are talking about entering a horizontal run a wye and 45 el would be appropriate.

Don Richmond

Reaction score
Sewer being involved, I shudder at the likelihood that this is done up to code.

I know I sound like a frigging idiot, but truly I'm not, or truly I intend on doing a good job. As I mentioned earlier, I built a passive solar adobe house back in the '80's, and I did all the plumbing, both septic system and household, and I did a good job and everything worked. It's just been a long time, and when I started thinking about this project, it was like I couldn't remember a darn thing. But once I stood in front of the bins of plumbing stuff at the supply store, I felt like it was coming back - of course its a wye. But I still need some serious refresher work from some books and advice from places like this - and I'll get them.

One thing I've noticed - if you want to gain a deep appreciation of almost any trade, try doing it yourself. I make most of my living as a recording engineer, and I often work on projects that people started at home, as home recording gear is very easy to come by. But then people often wonder, "Why does my music sound like you know what?" And then they either spend a lot of time figuring out what to do to make it sound better, or take it to someone who's been doing it for 30 years that can help them.

And so it is with so many things - I'd love to hire someone to do this who really knows what they are doing, but I'm at the tail end of a new recording studio building project, and the bucks are a little hard to come by, so here I am, gaining a fuller appreciation for plumbers!

But anyway, thanks so much for your input and help - I may post back here with some q's about interior plumbing soon, if you all can put up with more stupid questions. But I also believe that, for me, the only thing more stupid than a stupid question is not asking it. Thanks again for the help, and all best to all!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

and I did a good job and everything worked

Who said you did a good job? And "working" is all that the typical handyman or DIYer worries about, not whether it is done properly.

Don Richmond

Reaction score
Several people told me I did a good job, although (and I guess this is your point) none of them were plumbers. Although the inspector was quite taken with my leach field, if I remember correctly - nice and straight with the proper slope and all - it looked quite attractive, for a leach field, that is.

Thanks to all for the help and the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks