Thank you all for this site

Users who are viewing this thread

mrwb

Reaction score
I have a 6 year old Crane toilet with a Flushmate 503. I started having problems with the flush and from reading at flushmate.com figured it was the cartridge. I had replaced the duckbill insert previously and thought the top supply was OK. After replacing the cartridge it seemed OK for a week or 2 and then went back to running on. I would have to jiggle the handle and could not leave the bathroom until I knew it had stopped. There was water pooling on top of the cartridge so I figured it was bad too. Plus it was starting to "spit" from the tank bowl gasket. I was fed up and decided not to mess with this beast any more and was going to get a new toilet.

I almost bought a Kohler or AS at the local Lowes but since I could not decide there I came home to research which of the 2 was better (answer - neither). Researching a new toilet led me here and I was nearly sold on the Toto Acquia but after reading a few dozen (few hundred?) posts I started to realize that I may be able to salvage my Flushmate. I realized that I did need to replace the top supply. I had not replaced it before because I thought it would be more involved than it really was. It only took me 2 tries to get it right. (On the first try the o-ring did not seat right and it leaked). The flush is back to working as it should.

Reading here also helped me realize that when I had taken the tank off before, I had not tightened the tank evenly and that is why the tank bowl gasket had slipped. I took my time reattaching the tank this time and the spitting is gone. I am ordering a new gasket from Crane since this one looked a little ragged but it is holding for now.

So as the post title says - a very big thanks to this whole community for sharing your experiences.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks