Jacuzzi Espree HET toilet, EZ36959

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron

Reaction score
I saw this toilet at Lowes the other day.

It is -- 1.28GPL.
350 grams MaP, 12th edition.
Model number EZ36959

I recently bought the Toto Eco Drake and think I definitely made the right decision-- but just curious if anyone has this model or has heard anything about it.

Attachments

• jacuzzi_toilet.jpg
    jacuzzi_toilet.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 9,983
Last edited by a moderator:

Baron

Reaction score
One thing I noticed on my ECO Drake-

The tank was made in China -- the bowl was made in Vietnam -- and the soft close seat is made in USA.

Toto must really have strict quality control -- no matter where it is manufactured.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One thing I noticed on my ECO Drake-

The tank was made in China -- the bowl was made in Vietnam -- and the soft close seat is made in USA.

Toto must really have strict quality control -- no matter where it is manufactured.

You noticed huh?
Attention to detail sets them apart!

attachment.php

Toto Ultramax 2 WaterSense

evandepol

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm probably an idiot, but I'm confused.

I actually own this Jacuzzi Espree toilet. It appears well made (no imperfections in the china, good fit, no wobble). It installed in 30 minutes. Flushes well (and it's a 1.28!), and no leaks.

It also comes with a 5 year warranty. No soft-close seat though.

Can you explain to me what is so bad about this toilet?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's the little things like zinc plated steel bolts fastening the tank to the bowl instead of brass, cheapo chinese parts, and a MaP flush test rating of 350 Grams per flush.

Compared to the high quality of a Toto Eco-Drake with high quality components and a MaP rating of 900 GmPF.

evandepol

Reaction score
Hi Redwood. Thanks for the response.

For the record: no steel fasteners - all brass in this case (for flange bolts & nuts, as well as toilet bolts and nuts).

I'm not a plumber, so hard to judge for me, but first impression is not bad. Time will tell how well the flushing mechanism (PVC) will hold up, but no complaints about fit and finish.

Don't know about the MaP rating (where did you find that), but it does have a 3" flush valve.

StevePinTexas

Reaction score
In the 13th edition of the report, the EZ36959 is
rated at 1,000 grams and listed as a one piece.
Is the MaP report very reliable?:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, you have to understand that the map tests changed. They now use plastic wrapped paste (sort of like a sausage) to flush. This is not very much like the 'real' stuff except maybe in how much it weighs. So, while interesting in comparison, it's said that 500 grams or above is okay, but the test doesn't tell things like how the passages are constructed or if things will get clogged when you add the paper.

Quality control is very important for something you will likely keep for decades as well and maintenance - can you get parts. The flush valve and rubber parts will wear out, and will need to be replace eventually. The map test does nothing to help with that.

setsail98

Reaction score
Espree

Little confused here.... I read the MAP as 1000. Anyone have this toilet? Like it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Little confused here.... I read the MAP as 1000. Anyone have this toilet? Like it?

I have a 1968 Chevy Nova with a 305 cubic inch V-8.
It will spin the tires from every stop sign,
It has drum brakes so it takes a long while to stop.
Cornering is so-so.
A nice cloth bench seat that doesn't support my lower back while driving.
There is no leg space in the back seat,
The trunk is very small.
It gets 10 miles per gallon.

But, it gets 1000 on the MAP because of the V-8 engine.
True, the handle may get a little sticky, but wow! look at the engine!
A nice dull green paint job with poor fitting doors
But WOW! It has a V-8!

The Map only tests the engine.
Is this how you buy your cars?

To give you an idea of how little the testers at MaP know, this is what the author of the MAP bought for his own home
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1855798188535347905
After he installed it in his home, he was surprised at how dirty the bowl would get.
The MAP only uses media wrapped in plastic.
They don't test for cleanliness.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hey you're not the only one confused here...
It appears 2 differing models were map tested one that met the water sense HET requirements 350 GmPF and one that did not 1,000 GmPF.
Try going to the Jacuzzi website to sort out the details and there is nothing to be found as is all too often the case with these Chinese toilets...

Go ahead buy it!
Good Luck!

setsail98

Reaction score
Made in China

Thanks Terry and Redwood. The Espree is only listed under "what's new" and is only available at Lowes. While I like the design a lot, I am going with the Champion 4 "IF" it is made in the US of A. I stopped shopping at Wally-World because they used to tout Made in USA and now it is ALL made in China. Yep, the Espree is cheaper priced but I can afford USA products.

American Standard doesn't make anything in the USA.
The only toilet I sell that is made in the USA is Toto.
Atlanta Georgia, making
Toto Ultramax
Soiree
Guinevere
When I look at my stock for sale, I have quite a bit of USA made products, from Toto using Georgia clay.
Added by Terry

Toto Ultramax

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
We've been around and around the barn on this. It is true that Toto manufactures toilets in a number of countries. So does everyone else. There are some differences however. Toto has a better designed product. Of course all of the wonder design features are worthless if the manufacturing process is shoddy, and this is what really sets Toto apart. Toto quality control is as close to perfect as you will find regardless of the country of manufacture. They don't market a B or C grade toilet.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We've been around and around the barn on this. It is true that Toto manufactures toilets in a number of countries. So does everyone else. There are some differences however. Toto has a better designed product. Of course all of the wonder design features are worthless if the manufacturing process is shoddy, and this is what really sets Toto apart. Toto quality control is as close to perfect as you will find regardless of the country of manufacture. They don't market a B or C grade toilet.

Yea their QC Department isn't on a siesta...

setsail98

Reaction score
ToTo Drake

:) I wanna thank you all! Got the Drake today and you all are quite right! You guys saved me some grief...... Terry and Redwood :D

setsail98

Reaction score
Install?

Terry or Redwood:
What is the best way to install the tankto the base? Bolt, rubber seal, tank, washer, nut?

ecodrake_tankbottom.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks