3 Stem Shower - Hot Water Causing Noise When Partially Cracked Open

Users who are viewing this thread

Frayden

Reaction score
Have a 3 stem shower. When the hot water is turned on slowly, a very loud noise, almost like banging, is heard. If the knob is turned to certain point, about a full rotation, the noise stops. I believe this is exactly what I have:
pp_3v.gif

Any have suggestions as to what the culprit might be? Appreciate it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen the washers get old they often get hard or crack. The screw holding it in place can loosen. Then, it can vibrate or flutter in the water stream at certain flow rates. It might be as simple as replacing the washers.

Frayden

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jim.

When you say washers, it's items # 950-030 and 950-010 in the diagram your suggesting to replace, right?

Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No. The washer is not labeled in that picture.

stemparts.gif

It goes in the washer retainer secured with a screw.

Frayden

Reaction score
First, thank you for all the quick advise.
Second, sorry for the delay.

As Redwood recommended, I replaced the 3/8L washer on the hot stem . Upon putting it back in I figured it would be a good idea to do the same for the diverter and cold stems (I know... I know... if it aint broke...) - which was done and original problem is gone. However, I noticed the tub spout was dripping warm water. It original dripped cold water and much less than it was now. I opened them back up and didn't notice anything which could be causing blockage.

Any recommendations as what I should try now? Or am I at the point of "It's broke beyond repair and can't be fixed - just get it replaced"?

Thanks again everyone.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The washer pushes against a (usually replaceable) part called the valve seat. If the valve seat is not smooth, or the washer you chose is very hard, it may not make a good seal. The seat does wear, and sometimes gets chips or cracks in it. Sometimes getting them out is a pain and you need a (cheap) tool to do it. The part itself, if you can find the right one, is usually inexpensive.

Frayden

Reaction score
jadnashua,

Are you referring to this object?
44292_091807i_ns.jpg

I actually have 3 and thought about replacing them but had no way of actually removing them. They do have groves on them so it should be rather easy. Any issues with rust here and doing irreversible damage? Anything I should look for and simple not proceed if I see it?

Thanks again everyone.

EDIT: From the first picture, I see it's the Valve Seat Wrench I would need to remove the part. Pic:
ACE_Projects_RepairFaucet3.jpg

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This set of seat wrenches will usually have all the different types of wrenches needed.

3185ETSHF6L_SL500_AA200_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The valve seat tools usually have a taper on them. The only thing that gives grief sometimes is if there isn't enough depth to allow the tool to fully insert the tool into the valve seat. Sometimes, you have to shorten the tool so it can mate properly with the grooves you see in the valve seat. If it isn't tight when you try to remove it, you'll ream the insides of it out making it much harder to remove. same idea of using the wrong size Philips screwdriver on a screw. Use the right one and you can exert a lot of torque, use the wrong one, and you'll ruin the screw and maybe the screwdriver.

Frayden

Reaction score
Redwood, thanks for the reply.

Bought the valve seat wrench from Lowes and easily took off the 3 valve seats. Upon putting on the hot stem valve seat, the first one I did, I realized it wasn't screwing in correctly - the threads not matching correctly or something. Spend 20 minutes trying to get it out but just couldn't. Thought perhaps the valve seat I had was worn out or maybe it was the valve thread. The other 2 valve seats were replaced without issue. After some random fiddling and lots of luck, it finally came out. Replaced it with the diverter stem seat valve knowing that seat valve was fine. However, it also didn't sit correctly; very loose and again wouldn't come out. Thinking some teflon would help, I tried to take it again but gave up when it turned 1:30 AM.

Any recommendations? I guess if I don't get a response I'll replaced it - probable with a Delta 1700. Installed a Meon Posi-Temp downstairs couple of years ago but I figured I'd take everyone's suggestion from other threads on this website.

Side Note: Great website .. well actually great people! ;) Thanks again everyone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks