Need suggestions for good toilet seat......

Users who are viewing this thread

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
Alright, no need for beating around the bush here, I broke the toilet seat this morning. I put it on new only 5 weeks ago. The last one lasted 4 years. I need a seat that will be able to handle 375 lbs as I am a large person. I did not buy the cheapest seat, but I did not buy the most expensive either. I bought a white wood seat from Sutherland's (they are like the big box store, only smaller). The seat before I think I bought there also. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for?? The seat is breaking between the front spacer and the back spacer that keeps it off the toilet rim.

Thanks,

toilet-seat-broken-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think most any wooden seats would succumb to repeated use under those conditions. What might work is if you could find some hard rubber bumpers the proper height and screw (use a stainless steel wood screw) several to make the gap between the back and the front supports smaller. A moulded seat might flex rather than break, but the hinges may not be as strong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For my brother that used to sit quickly and break seats, I wound up picking up the better wood seat with the big metal hinges.

bemis-1830-seat.jpg

bemis-1830-seat-2.jpg

toilet-seat-dinner-plate.jpg

Just don't use them as a dining options, please.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks