(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: tankless water heater...circulator

Hybrid View

Default tankless water heater...circulator

hi..

looking for opinions on wether a circulating system is necessary with tankless water system.

bathroom would be two floors above heaters...prob 20 feet. and outside walls in nj.

tks

Default heater

The location of the heater, not its type, determines whether you could need a circulation system. The advantage of a tankless heater is that it can be installed near the point of use and thus give rapid temperature response. If the heater is going to be installed in the same location that a tank type would have been then if the tank type would have needed a circulator, then the tankless does also, except a tankless is a a bit more complicated and you have to follow the manufacturer's directions to install it.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If not installed exactly per the instructions (and some probably don't allow it), the tankless would be running all the time the circulator was running, and your costs and wear and tear would be excessive.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default agree

yes ive read the use of a recirculator vs an on demand system nearly voids ur warranty.

is that "warm up" time it takes to get hot water from a tankless that much more than tank?

It really depends on the length and diameter of the piping. At a bare minimum you are it is probably safe to assume that it is going to take at least 10 seconds longer.

Recirculation and instant hot water is definitely a convenience, at least in my books. How much is 10 seconds of water worth compared to the cost of recirculating your water to keep it warm? You are going to spend A LOT more trying to keep that water hot.

Yes, it would be nice to save the water and the environment and all that stuff ... you just need to pick your poison

Waste natural gas, or electrical or whatever you use to heat your water, resources to keep your water hot in recirculation, or waste water in waiting to get hot water ... again, you just need to pick your poison ...

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

SOmebody did a study and said that if you recirculate on demand (say with a timer or occupancy sensor or manually activated switch), use for up to two hours per day saves money verses the water and sewer costs for the waste. Used longer than that starts to cost money (but not a huge amount in a normal residential situation). I've got mine on a multiperiod timer - runs in the morning, then again in the evening, and most of the day during the weekends. the electrical use to run the pump is minor - I'd bet mine doesn't cost more than $0.25/month electricity to run, if that. If the pipes are insulated, the heat loss isn't that much either.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014