Mixet Hot/cold Reversed?

Users who are viewing this thread

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Hello! Why is my mixet shower's temp control reversed? Turning it to the right give me hot water and turning it to the left gives me cold water. Does this mean the mixet cartridge was incorrecly installed? I checked for the red mark of the cartridge and it is facing upwards. What I am not sure of though is if that is really how it was inserted in when it was installed. If I twist the cartrigde around with the red mark facing down, then I get the correct temp. If the cartridge is indeed incorrectly installed, could this be the reason why I am also not having enough water pressure on my shower head?

bmense

Reaction score
The valve in the wall could have been plumbed backwards, causing the hot/cold reversal when the cartridge is installed correctly. When that happens the only choice is the reverse the cartridge so that it mixes correctly.

As far as the pressure, water pressure is should stay constant through a typical valve such as this. What you could be dealing with is a quantity/volume of water issue which can be caused by the cartridge. Don't have much more to offer than that on this part of it.

Brian

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mixet

The original Mixet stems did not really have a "regular" or "reversed" installation. You install the temperature lever handle which ever way is necessary to give the proper indication. It has nothing to do with the pressure to the shower head.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Just solved my problem. I tried to reinstall the mixet cartridge and when I tested it, I still got the same low water pressure problem. I tinkered with it a bit and finally I removed the shower head and viola! there was a lot of debris in it. At least now I am enjoying the shower with rainfall effect with gusto!

The thing I noticed is, even when I installed the cartridge following the correct position (red mark facing up) I still had the reversed hot/cold temp control. I just ended up twisting the temp control clockwise (red mark facing down) and then installing the temp handle. So now left is for hot and right is for cold.

Thanks for all your help!

Volney

Reaction score
I figured it out! I have the SLD1350 and the hot and cold are reverse when I first installed it. I replaced the same cartridge in my other bathroom a couple years ago and didn't have a problem but this has been driving me crazy. I found out that you can use the on/off Knob to extend out the back end of the cartridge beyond the inner screw and just flip the back end part of the cartridge up instead of down. You then screw the back end back on to the cartridge pointing up instead of down. The red arrow still points up as well in this configuration without having to swap the hot and cold lever down. I also figured out the low flow problem. It seems if they plumbed it in wrong like this the flow is reduced so you have to trim a little of the plastic off the back end groove to increase the water pressure. I was used to having a high flow rate but the replacement cartridge groove is 50% smaller so I just used my dremel to sand it down a little more and it works great! It looks like someone did the same thing when they installed it the first time. I bet they messed up and then got it to work after by reserving the end and making the groove bigger.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks