4083 toilet tank, I need help Identifying a Toilet lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Neotonic

Reaction score
Ok I know this might seem strange...I have a current impulse to find out what toilets I have in my house (and past toilets I saw in my house)
I know of 4 already
Toto EcoDrake Replaced a 1970 Eljer Windsor Elongated
1997 American Standard Cadet 2" Replaced a ?(most likely an American Standard, because my Tub is an 1970-1985 American Standard)
1997 Sterling Windham replaced a ? (Probably a AS)
now our Front toilet is original to the Home's expansion in 1983 or 1985...
Can someone tell Me what the model name of this is?

I have a Video

I think its either an American Standard Cadet or Plebe..:confused:

Thanks,
Neotonic/Nick

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
we would have a better idea if you concentrated on showing the tank and lid design, but from what little I saw of the tank, it may be an old Plebe American standard

Achutch

Reaction score
It's a Cadet!

Greetings!

The toilet in the photo is a Cadet. I can tell from the design of the bowl, which is the 3.5 gallon re-design of the Cadet bowl that appeared in the 1960's (at least 1964 -- I saw my first Cadet of this type at the age of 10!!). The Plebe bowl of the '80s did not have the rounded base or bowl design as the toilet pictured.

The Plebe and Cadet tanks are similar if not exact. The last apartment I had before buying my condo was built in 1985, and the two toilets there were the Plebe (and it was written underneath American Standard) on the back of the bowl. I also put a Plebe in for my parents that same year because their toilet was cracked at the base. (And it was removed early this year so Dad could have a comfort height toilet).

The toilet in your video is the Elongated Cadet. I can tell by the shape of the drain at the bottom of the bowl (Plebe is more narrow, almost triangular from the jet), and by the sound and speed of the flush.

The Plebe was the "inexpensive" (cheap) alternative to the Cadet and was probably a "contractor model" like the Crane Galaxy :mad:. I have never seen an elongated Plebe. The round bowl Cadet was much more expensive than the Plebe, and the Elongated Cadet would have been even more costly.

In the late '80s, an episode of "This Old House" showed the American Standard plant making the exact tank in your photo and video; quite an interesting process.

On an "off topic", when I logged in to change my Avatar to indicate that I have moved from my cabin back into town (and to show off Tyler on his favorite bed), I noticed that I am now a "Senior Member"!!! How does that work? Did that promotion happen over time or through my posts? Anyway, I am honored!

achutch

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

4083 is a "generic" tank used on many bowls, i.e., Devoro, Cadet, Glenwall, etc., so it is not a good reference for the bowl. That one is a Cadet, assuming the one in the video is the same. The video concentrated on water flushing out of the tank and water going down the bowl, but little of what the bowl looked like externally.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I love the noise they make as they hit the bottom of a dumpster,,,
Sounds like victory!

Neotonic

Reaction score
Haha, So from what I understand is that
my toilet (The video) it is a Cadet from 1980's, with a Generic "Standard" Cistern
By The Way, the picture was a picture of a Plebe? That I found on the web... Bit I can get an actual picture of the toilet, if necessary.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I love the noise they make as they hit the bottom of a dumpster,,,
Sounds like victory!

One of the first plumbing jobs I went on was replacing a grease interceptor. Boss said, "It's gonna smell to high hell but it's the smell of money." That's gotten me through a fair many rank jobs since.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Why are they both considered Junk?

It's a person's own experiences that determine their opinion on a particular product. I personally have had very little call backs from either the Plebe or the cadet. Personally, I think they are ok, not the greatest, but simply ok.(passable)

Neotonic

Reaction score
It's a person's own experiences that determine their opinion on a particular product. I personally have had very little call backs from either the Plebe or the cadet. Personally, I think they are ok, not the greatest, but simply ok.(passable)
I like it because it is original to the house, what a bad reason.. It does have a full bowl wash. :rolleyes:
I have been trying to get my parents to replace it either with a Toto EcoDrake, Caroma Sydney, or something high performance...but I bet we will get something that clogs alot and ruin the bathroom carpet.. :(

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One thing to consider is the savings of water usage. I read where on the average a person flushes a toilet about 4 times a day. The following figures are based on that figure and a family of 4.

Going from a 3.5 GPF toilet to a 1.6 GPF will give you a savings of about 11,096 gallons a year.

Going from a 3.5 GPF toilet to a 1.28GPF HET Toilet will give you a savings of 12,964.8 gallons a year.

Neotonic

Reaction score
One thing to consider is the savings of water usage. I read where on the average a person flushes a toilet about 4 times a day. The following figures are based on that figure and a family of 4.

Going from a 3.5 GPF toilet to a 1.6 GPF will give you a savings of about 11,096 gallons a year.

Going from a 3.5 GPF toilet to a 1.28GPF HET Toilet will give you a savings of 12,964.8 gallons a year.

Yeah, I want my parents to replace that toilet for that reason, but it rarely clogs..instead you have to double.....Now I get why its a bad toilet
:eek: lol
Oh Well, I am not sure when we will replace it.

Then my Cadet 2 from 1997 is having issues, we had to replace almost all the fittings inside the tank. but hell, after we do all the fittings it will use less than 1.6gpf. it doesn't EVEN reach the water line in the tank, nor the bowl...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks